We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a rainy day?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
stroup
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
What to do on a rainy day?

My sister and I will be visiting New Orleans on Friday, 2/21 through Tuesday, 2/25. Looking at the weather forecast and it appears it will be raining most of the time we are in New Orleans. This is our first visit to New Orleans and we are very excited and want to see as much as possible. We don't mind getting a little wet but we are wondering if there is anything (other than going to bars) that we could visit on the very rainy days. We are bringing jackets, ponchos and umbrellas to try and keep us as dry and want to make the most out of this trip despite the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Our second visit we had rain for two days; the only thing that we missed was the street musicians. We got wet but it kind of made the experience a little funnier. For us, as long as it's not cold when it rains then you can still have a great time.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

"Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands - and who knows what to do with it?"

As said by Blanche DuBois in Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

visiting museums is a great way to spend a rainy day, World War II, Presbytere and Cabildo are all great. Also, there are 2 National Parks locations in the FQ. At the one closer to the French Market, which is not much more than a room, we lucked into a showing of Ken Burns' movie about Jazz, "The History of Jazz"? At the other one, there are quite a few displays including some with short films. We watched the story of the Battle of New Orleans here. There are also a few smaller museums and houses to visit in the FQ, each of which takes less than an hour but interesting. Across from the WW II museum, there is a Civil War museum.

Additionally, you can do the IMAX, Aquarium, and Insectarium while waiting out a rainstorm. You might also enjoy wandering through some of the older hotels. The Roosevelt lobby is really beautiful and you can check out the Sazerac Bar. The Royal Sonesta hotel is nice and you should not miss a visit to the Moneteleone and its Carousel Bar.

There are also some indoor live music shows you might enjoy, Irvin Mayfield's at Royal Sonesta, the Davenport Lounge at the Ritz and sometimes live music at the Carousel Bar.

We spent one rainy afternoon enjoying the most leisurely lunch at Antoines and then wandering around the back rooms used for Mardi Gras feasts, etc., which is essentially a museum itself.

Enjoy!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

As long as it's not torrential, you can do pretty much what you can do when it's not raining. Courtyard sitting is probably out. The famous New Orleans balconies provide some cover for the sidewalks, so you can get around. Restaurants and bars are still open. Cemetery visits may be ill advised. I would find a good bar or restaurant and enjoy the ambience.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

I know you are looking for something other than bars, but if you can find a seat in a French Quarter bar with a good view of the street (say Chart Room or Harry's Corner), there is little that is more enjoyable than sipping a beverage while watching the rain fall in the French Quarter.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Actually, on my first visit to NOLA last year, on the first morning, in a drizzling (but not cold) rain, I went to St. Louis Cemetery #1. Talk about eerie.

There are several historical houses open for tours (and the fees help with the preservation); Gallier House, Herman-Grima House, Beauregard/Keyes House.

Or you could take the Algiers Ferry across the river, have a beverage and/or lunch at the Dry Dock Cafe, and take the Ferry back.

Or if you are into shopping, there's Decatur St. for touristy stuff, higher end shopping on Royal St., and the French Market for all kinds of stuff.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

Also, there are significant discounts available for the Aquarium and Beauregard-Keyes house today on Travelzoo. Go to Local Deals and select New Orleans.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

There's also the Katrina Exhibit in the Cabildo that is a great way to spend an hour or 2.

And for something a little different, there's a wax museum on Conti St. It's on my to do list one day, saving it for a rainy day. I've been lucky that in all my trips, I haven't had a lot of rain and the days I did get rain, well I love to sit at a bar, listen to music, drink, and watch outside at the same time.

http://www.neworleanswaxmuseum.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23,681 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

You can go to the WWII Museum and use a few hours there.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on a rainy day?

We were in NOLA in July so it was quite humid and not unusual to have a sudden and heavy downpour. On one such occasion we sat in Pat O'Briens sipping on Hurricanes and watching the rain. Best downpour ever :)