We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

winston salem, nc
Level Contributor
217 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

For all of you who helped me with whether to stay on I-10 at Quality Inn or not, I just want to let you know that my timeshare came thru and will be staying at the Quarter House the first part of the trip and moving to Wyndham Avenue Plaza instead of staying on I-10. I'm sure nothing would have happened but do feel much safer here.

Using Groupon & Living Social I have bought tix to the HOHO bus, Jean Lafite Swamp Tours, Witches 3/1 Tour also The Lucky Lobster & Jack Dempsey's and a couple of others that are on or near the streetcar line.

Other things I'd like to do that are not included in the HOHO tour ( bought a week pass, so I could get around) is take a riverboat cruise, go to the zoo & aquarium, go see Big Al Carson, the sculpture garden/park. Using the HOHO bus, I'll see most of the usual stuff, oh yeah and going to Mardi Gras World.

If you have any suggestions or helpful hints let me know. I love good meals but can't afford the really expensive ones.

TIA

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

I'm glad it worked out for you! I have stayed at the Avenue Plaza - it is very nice, and the streetcar runs right in front of it. Just walk out the door and get on. I haven't stayed at the Quarter House but I know it is very popular so I'm sure it will be fine. Have a great trip!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

hope it works out for you but Crazy Lobster is a tourist trap and Jack Dempsey's is average but big quantities.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

Take the streetcar in front of your hotel to Carondelet (end of the line). Carondelet is Bourbon St. once you cross Canal. Walk down to the 700 block Of Bourbon to the Funky Pirate to hear Al Carson. To get to the zoo, take the streetcar from the front of your hotel in the opposite direction.

Many of the nice restaurants in New Orleans offer 2-3 course lunch specials(large servings) for under $20.. and often they have drink specials, too. Check websites for Antoine's, Commander's Palace, Adelaide's, SoBou, Muriel's, Mr.B's, Redfish Grill.. Many others have low priced Happy Hours with food specials: Domenica, Luke, SoBou,

winston salem, nc
Level Contributor
217 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

I should have figured as such, but they've got better reviews than the reviews at the Quality Inn on I-10. lol I will do the Lucky Lobster when I do the riverboat as it appears to be near there. Dempsey's is not on the street car line?? so will have to take a taxi . I was going to get a groupon for Nosh's but they sold out of the smaller one. I can't wait to go to Mother's and have the debri po boy.

I have rented a wheelchair for the week. I can walk, but not real far nor can I stand for long periods of time so I will forget going to Bourbon St on Saturday night and will probably go around 8 or 9ish so it shouldn't be too crowded?? Again , thanks for all your help.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post correctly. If you are staying at the Quarter House part of the time, it would be very easy/ inexpensive to take a pedicab to the front door of Funky Pirate. There are then 3-4 steps into the club. You could also arrange for the pedicab to pick you up at a certain time or call when you are ready to leave. If you go to tropicalisle.com you will find the schedule for Funky Pirate so that you will know the days/times that Big Al plays. I also enjoy the Sunday band, Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

p.s. Dempsey's is in the Bywater neighborhood...not near the riverboat docking area, nor on a streetcar line. The Aquarium is not far from the Quarter House and you can ride the streetcar from Canal (be sure it says CITY PARK on the front) to the park to see the sculpture garden.

Do you have a Visitor's Guide (with maps) ? If not, you might go to neworleansonline.com to download/order one. You will have a grand time!

winston salem, nc
Level Contributor
217 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

Thank you so much for all your help. It is so appreciated and I am taking notes. I am so ready to GO!!!!!

8. Re: Update/Crazy Hotel Prices/Thank you

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:17