We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time, which location?

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
first time, which location?

Hi,

excited about my first trip to NO in June. Travelling alone (45 yr old male) and will be a mix of business and pleasure. I'd appreciate advice on best location - somewhere that has decent public transport nearby and also walkable to some downtown attractikns in the evening/ weekend.

Since I've never been before, any recommendations for a city tour to help me get my bearings?

Thanks.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time, which location?

1st timers should always stay in the French Quarter. That is where a lot of the "action" is, and has great history, music, art, food, and beverages. You asked about downtown. Is there a specific reason, or do you just assume that is where you'll find the most fun because that is usually where you find a fun time? New Orleans is not like any other city, so what usually happens or works in other cities won't be the same in NO.

As for a hotel, please advise if you'll need a business center, or just a place to relax. Although there are many great hotels in the FQ, a lot of them are not equipped for the business traveller.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time, which location?

Since you're coming for a business trip, will you need to be near or convenient to a particular place for conducting business/meetings? I definitely agree that staying in the French Quarter is your best bet. Canal Street is at the edge of the French Quarter and close to the Central Business District. I usually stay further into the FQ, but if you have to visit the CBD for business you might like the hotels on Canal Street which are mostly larger hotels. You can also access both the Canal and St. Charles Streetcar lines from Canal St; although New Orleans is a great city for walking.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,610 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time, which location?

First time or anytime is the French Quarter unless you know someone in particular to stay with.

4. Re: first time, which location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 06:17