We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fans of the Chart Room

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Topic
Fans of the Chart Room

This was posted on the Jazz Fest forum. I hope they don't turn it into something bright & shiny!

"Sadly the owner of The Chart Room, Ray Newman has passed away. How many great nights have you spent in that bar with that incredible jukebox? I've met more great service industry people in that room over the years than I can count. Stiff drinks, smokey nights, rebellious fun with the people who make this city so great.

Ray won that bar in a poker hand in the early seventies. In the back corner of the bar by the ladies room is a picture of a shirt that was taken into space on one of the space shuttles with Earth in the background.

What next? Nobody knows for sure yet, as the bar was leased from the landlord who has wanted to convert it to something else. It remains one of the few grandfathered bars that doesn't have a kitchen, which is now a requirement for any new establishment.

Get in there while you can grab a drink, tell a story and take care of Chris, Sheila, and Will"

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Loopwhole will be devastated if they close it.

He recommends it all the time.

ri
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Very sad news about Ray. We "open" the bar every day at 11 with Will (or Julie) and Ray when we're in town. He was a truly fine man, always friendly and having a good word. His "dry" sense of humor will be sorely missed. I hope the Chart Room will remain open. It's a truly great place for locals and us "semi-locals" to meet, mix and tip a few.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Very sad but not totally unexpected news. Extending my most sincere condolences and sympathy to Ray's family and many friends. Yes, Chart Room is a very special place to me, for many different reasons, most of those reasons having to do with wonderful times spent with wonderful friends.

The obituary:

…nola.com/obituaries/nola/obituary.aspx…

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:47
Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

My favorite bar!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Loophole I would be honored to toast Ray with you when we are there very soon.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Even if you didn't know Ray...I hate to see this bar change...the bartenders..clientele were always awesome.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

Terrible news :(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
538 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

We will be there at the end of March and the Chart Room seems like a place I would like to visit. This may be a dumb question for New Orleans but is there music?

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

They have one of the best jukeboxes in NoLa. No live music. It's a cool, corner "dive" bar.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fans of the Chart Room

The juke box is out of this world! Great place, great atmosphere...sad news about Ray. May the Chart Room continue!