We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch recommendations?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
lunch recommendations?

Hi,

My wife and I will be visiting from NYC and have two lunch slots available (Friday March 7, Saturday March 8), and am trying to choose between August, Commander brunch and Bayona.

Any thoughts on which one would drop? We plan to be in FQ/ CBD one day, and probably at Garden District the other day (we could come back to FQ for lunch too).

Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,596 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch recommendations?

Tough call.

For lunch, I would probably go with Commander's Palace and Bayona (courtyard if available). Though I love dinner at Restaurant August, above Commander's, for lunch, I would give the nod in CP's direction.

Really, you cannot go wrong with any of the three, IMHO.

Enjoy!

Hunt

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch recommendations?

and to confuse the issue..we would drop Bayona..just not overwhelmed by it.

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch recommendations?

I agree with Cajunyank.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch recommendations?

Not sure if the luncheon specials are available on Saturday for either August or CP.

The CP lunchtime on M-F includes the bargain two or three course and the 25 cent martinis. If you go, get a reservation and ask for a table in the Garden Room, in the corner by the live oak, and mention it again when you arrive. The turtle soup at CP is really good.

New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch recommendations?

Yes, we're booked for Friday lunch at August and Saturday brunch at Commander at 12:30 (any suggestions from their brunch menu?). Thanks for the suggestion about the table. It was hard enough to get a reservation; lets see what happens with the table.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,553 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch recommendations?

Handmade potato gnocchi

Louisiana blue crab and black truffle

This dish in August has my name written all over it. To take advantage of a world class place such as this I would ditch the $20.14 lunch idea and order from the full menu

New York
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lunch recommendations?

Thanks.

Another related idea, prompted by the suggestions above:

Do you think it makes sense for me to do Commanders on Friday (regular lunch) and August on Saturday instead? Does Glatoire merit a consideration?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,596 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lunch recommendations?

<<Do you think it makes sense for me to do Commanders on Friday (regular lunch) and August on Saturday instead? Does Glatoire merit a consideration?>>

CP's for lunch, and August (planning on dinner, right?) would be a great duo.

Galatoire's should always be considered. It is the "ultimate grand dame" of New Orleans, IMHO. One can make reservations and dine upstairs, or stand in line on Bourbon Street, to dine downstairs. The food is the same, as is the service (but not the servers and some have their favorites) - just a different vibe.

Enjoy!

Hunt

9. Re: lunch recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18