We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

I have been doing a lot of research for my upcoming August 2nd to 7th 2014 NOLA trip. I want to make it unforgettable as I rarely have money to travel. I am going to list a bunch of Attractions and Restaurants and I want your opinions! Tell me if I should avoid them or give me ones I have missed please! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Attrations:

VooDoo Museum

Musee Conti Wax Museum

Jax (shopping and brewery)

Canal Place (shopping)

Mardi Gras World

French Quarter Phantoms

Honey Island Swamp Tours

Steamboat Nanchez

Food:

Bon Ton Cafe: Crap Meat Au Gratin

Cafe Beignet: Beignet

Cafe Du Monde - Famous Cafe

Deanie's: Fried Catfish

Drago's Seafood Restaurant: Charboiled Oysters

ACME Oyster House: Should I try the 15 dozen club??? I love oysters! Haha

Coop's place: Fried Chicken

Gumbo Shop

Central Grocery: Muffaletta

Mother's

Mr. B's: BBQ Shrimp

Elisabeth's: Breakfast (homestyle cooking)

Maple Leaf

Commander's Place

Jaque Imos

COOLinary will be in effect while we were there - Deanie's and Brigtsen's are contributors.

Nightlife:

Carousel Piano Bar (Saturday night live music)

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar

The Spotted Cat Music Club

The Funky Pirate Blues Blub

Pat O'Briens

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Felschurch: I decided I will bring a spray bottle with ice cubes in it. We'll just spray each other all day. Haha. (gotta make sure and have waterproof sunblock) And just wet our t-shirts.

SoDakMac: Thank you for the information for the ferry!

aja55: I have printed soooo many coupons from www.neworleanscoupons.com and I am reviewing the amazon.com and groupon.com websites on a weekly basis. I already have one for Daisy Dukes $10 for $20 worth of food. :) I am trying to stretch my money so I can enjoy more attractions/restaurants.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the cheapest way to get to and from the MSY New Orleans airport to the French Quarter?

2) Where can I buy snacks and alcohol for my hotel room?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,575 posts
953 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

That IS a good list - comprehensive, if a bit ambitious. Still, a very good list.

I agree about Mothers, and an either/or for the beignets. I am also not a fan of Drago's (Hilton River Center), but many love it, and I only hope that you have a better experience, than we did on a perfectly dreadful evening.

Nice to see the BonTon on your list. It is too often missed. You do have their schedule, correct? http://www.thebontoncafe.com/

Were it my itinerary, I might do CP's for brunch/lunch, and add Restaurant August, or Galatoire's for a dinner, but that is just me.

Most of all, enjoy! Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Hunt

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Alcohol and snacks all over the quarter including some great little grocery stores. Did you mention a hotel? If you hit Central Grocery early you can get snacks there and liquor store near there. Btw..muffaletas travel very well. Pick one up the morning you leave.

Choose a hotel with a pool!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

We chose Hotel Provincial; it says it has two pools, but I only saw pictures of one unless they look identical.

Thank you for the grocery tips. Our flight doesn't get in until 8:15pm on the Saturday, but we'll get there early on Sunday.

I will definitely be bringing back a muffaleta! Good idea!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

see this thread (verablue post simply not true)

tripadvisor.com/…53678702

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

The Hotel Provincial is very near the 24/7 Verti Mart for food, beverages, sundries. 8:15 PM is early by New Orleans time. Best way from MSY is Cab $33 total for two people. Verti Mart delivers BTW. Central Grocery is closed on Sunday.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

VooDoo Museum- really small. One time I had a great hour long talk with the guy that takes your money, but any time I've had questions about Voodoo I prefer Voodoo Authentica on Dumaine.

Musee Conti Wax Museum -Never been and haven't missed it.

Jax (shopping and brewery) skip it. I also wouldn't add the Riverwalk. You can walk down to the river at a lot of spots or perhaps you will take the Canal St. Ferry across the river to Algiers and back.

Canal Place (shopping) if you enjoy shopping for high end brands then go. I'll just mention that they just opened an H&M on Decatur St. this past fall, so if you do enjoy shopping, you might add that to your list.

Mardi Gras World- when I went it was across the river in Algiers. I learned a lot about Mardi Gras and got to see floats up close and try on some fun Mardi Gras costumes for photo ops.

French Quarter Phantoms - a tour company. Having never taken any of their tours I can't comment. I'll just say that some people prefer sensational ghost and/or vampire tours and others like more historically accurate tours.

Honey Island Swamp Tours - the next time I take a swamp tour, this is the one I want to go on.

Steamboat Natchez - fun, but it time is in short supply take the Canal Street Ferry across the Mississippi to AAlgiers. You'll still be able to take some great pictures of the city, but it'll be cheaper and take less time.

Food:

Bon Ton Cafe: Crap Meat Au Gratin -never been

Cafe Beignet: Beignet I'd choose Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter or Morning Call at City Park.

Cafe Du Monde - Famous Cafe (see above)

Deanie's: Fried Catfish skip it!!!

Drago's Seafood Restaurant: Charboiled Oysters Lots of people love this place for their Charbroiled Oysters, but unfortunately the ones I got there were really small and disappointed me. I had much better Charbroiled Oysters at Acme.

ACME Oyster House: Should I try the 15 dozen club??? I love oysters! Haha (see above) I say Go For It!

Coop's place: Fried Chicken - people here seem to either love it or hate it, mostly due to service reasons.

Gumbo Shop- I've actually had some pretty tasty gumbo here, but that's all I had.

Central Grocery: Muffaletta order a 1/2 and share it!

Mother's skip it.

Mr. B's: BBQ Shrimp -Yum! Their Gumbo Ya Ya and bread pudding is amazing too. Try to go at lunch. Lots of the same items as the night menu, but a little less money.

Elisabeth's: Breakfast (homestyle cooking)- I don't think Elizabeth's is as good as it used to be, but I still think their praline bacon is great. If you want somewhere a little closer to the French Quarter also consider Cake Cafe and Bakery in the Marigny. It's a stand in line and order then get a table where they bring your food to you kinda place. Cupcakes $1 with an entree.

Maple Leaf -great bar. Music seems to start about an hour after the scheduled time, but that seems to happen at quite a few places in New Orleans.

Commander's Place - my favorite restaurant!

Jaque Imos overrated imo.

COOLinary will be in effect while we were there - Deanie's and Brigtsen's are contributors. Brigsten's is on my sometime list. Deanie's is nothing special.

Nightlife:

Carousel Piano Bar (Saturday night live music) I think they have live music on other nights too, but I've only gone to the Carousel to sit at the revolving bar and enjoy a well made drink.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar - a must go. Watch out they top their Hurricane's with 151 rum and they pack a punch.

The Spotted Cat Music Club on Frenchmen St. There are many other clubs on Frenchmen too. Snug Harbor is a great jazz club and I love the atmosphere at Yuki Izakaya If you go on Thursday-Sunday night the Frenchmen St. Art Market will be operating too.

The Funky Pirate Blues Club -Mark Penton and the Pentones gets a lot of rave reviews from the posters here

.I'm sure my comments probably duplicated some of those above me, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could. Have fun!

Pat O'Briens - beautiful courtyard day or night. Also a fun piano bar at night.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 05:17
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

There are two pools at the HP. The second is small and secluded which no one seems to have photographed and posted.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Wow! Thank you SoulCat!

I am going to look into VooDoo Authentica and Dumaine. I will also check out Sensational Ghost and Vampire Tours. I definitely want to go on a more accurate tour.

I am going to cross out Deanie's and Jacque Imos. We get a free continental breakfast at the hotel, so I think I will just leave it at trying one of the three for breakfast: Elisabeth's, Cake Cafe or Bakery in the Marigny.

I am definitely adding your nightlife suggestions. We're probably going to want to pub crawl.

SoDakMac: Thank you for letting me know about 24/7 Verti Mart, I will definitely be going there. And thank you for letting me know a cab is the way to go to and from the airport. $33 is an expected 'airport to downtown' type fare.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

The Algiers Ferry was still free as of late January. I had expected to pay $2.00, but it was totally free both ways.