We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

I have been doing a lot of research for my upcoming August 2nd to 7th 2014 NOLA trip. I want to make it unforgettable as I rarely have money to travel. I am going to list a bunch of Attractions and Restaurants and I want your opinions! Tell me if I should avoid them or give me ones I have missed please! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Attrations:

VooDoo Museum

Musee Conti Wax Museum

Jax (shopping and brewery)

Canal Place (shopping)

Mardi Gras World

French Quarter Phantoms

Honey Island Swamp Tours

Steamboat Nanchez

Food:

Bon Ton Cafe: Crap Meat Au Gratin

Cafe Beignet: Beignet

Cafe Du Monde - Famous Cafe

Deanie's: Fried Catfish

Drago's Seafood Restaurant: Charboiled Oysters

ACME Oyster House: Should I try the 15 dozen club??? I love oysters! Haha

Coop's place: Fried Chicken

Gumbo Shop

Central Grocery: Muffaletta

Mother's

Mr. B's: BBQ Shrimp

Elisabeth's: Breakfast (homestyle cooking)

Maple Leaf

Commander's Place

Jaque Imos

COOLinary will be in effect while we were there - Deanie's and Brigtsen's are contributors.

Nightlife:

Carousel Piano Bar (Saturday night live music)

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar

The Spotted Cat Music Club

The Funky Pirate Blues Blub

Pat O'Briens

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

On their website it still says free too. We shall see, $2.00 isn't a bad deal either. Better than the $20+ for the steamboat ride.

I see a lot of places do not take credit cards. I guess we will have to make sure to take some cash with us.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 11:26
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Please Google the Algiers Ferry. You will find as of Feb 23, 2014 the fares were instituted. Websites probably not updated. Regarding the Riverwalk Mall: it has been closed for two years and has been undergoing a multimillion dollar makeover. Due to reopen this spring as an upscale outlet mall so I would not cross it off your list until reviews are in. Canal Place, the ferry entrance, and the Riverwalk Mall are all within a few blocks of each other so you would be able to take in all three easily. The Aquarium is right there also along with the IMAX Theatre.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

If you're going to do some pub crawling, there are smaller and cheaper places than the ones that get all the tourists, such as Boondock Saint (731 St. Peter), Molly's at the Market (1107 Decatur, right next to Coop's Place), Turtle Bay (1119 Decatur), The Chartroom, Harry's Corner.

You WILL want to come back!

Edited: 04 March 2014, 14:30
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

I refreshed my list...

Attractions (worthwhile) (a lot do not accept credits cards, must remember cash):

VooDoo Authentica (612 Dumaine St)

The Riverwalk (Outlet Mall) (500 Port of New Orleans Place)

Canal Place (Fancy Mall) (333 Canal St)

Mardi Gras World $19.95 (end of the line on Riverfront Streetcar) (1380 Port of New Orleans Pl)

Spirit Tours New Orleans - Ghost and Vampire & Cemetery and Voodoo Tours (601 Royal)

Honey Island Swamp (mention honeyislandswamp.com and receive a free gift) - Pick up from hotel - call the night before to confirm at (985) 641-1769

Algiers Ferry (Departs from the base of Canal St, adjacent to the Aquarium on one side and the Riverwalk Mall on the other side)

Satchmo Summer Fest is happening in the French Quarter the weekend we would arrive. It's free to listen to the jazz music and there will be a lot of vendors. - FREE admission

Food (most to share):

Casamento's Restaurant (4330 Magazine St.)

Cafe Beignet - Beignet - Couple online for free cafe au lait with any purchase (Bourbon Street & 334-B Royal Street)

Cafe Du Monde - MUST GO - Famous overrated (haha) cafe (800 Decatur St)

Domilise’s – Shrimp Po-Boy (5240 Annunciation St)

Pascal’s Manale- BBQ Shrimp(1838 Napoleon Ave)

ACME Oyster House – Try grilled oysters (724 Iberville St)

Napolean House - Warm Maffelatas (500 Chartres St)

Central Grocery - Maffelatas (923 Decatur St)

Coop's place: Fried Chicken (1109 Decatur St)

Gumbo Shop (630 Saint Peter Street)

Mr. B's: BBQ Shrimp (201 Royal St)

Elisabeth's: Breakfast (homestyle cooking) (601 Gallier St)

Maple Leaf (a bit far from French Quarter - Can take St. Charles Streetcar to S Carrollton and Oak) (8316 Oak St)

Commander's Place - Bread Pudding (Take St. Charles Street Car to sixth avenue and walk back to Washington Ave) (1403 Washington Ave)

Nightlife (all walking distance in the French Quarter):

Carousel Piano Bar and Lounge (Saturday night when we arrive would be a fun way to start our adventure, good live music that night) (214 Royal St)

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar (941 Bourbon St)

The Spotted Cat Music Club (623 Frenchmen St)

The Funky Pirate Blues Club (Mark Penton and the Pentones)(727 Bourbon St)

Pat O'Briens (718 St Peter St)

Snug Harbour (626 Frenchmen St)

Yuki Izakaya (525 Frenchmen St)

Frenchman St. Art Market (Saturday and Sunday) (619 Frenchmen St)

The Famous Door (339 Bourbon St.)

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Since you will be in NOLA over the weekend, I would stop by the Funky Pirate on Sunday night to see Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band, beginning at 8:30 p.m. I would also visit the Balcony Music Club on the corner of Decatur and Esplanade, and Sing Sing for Rooster and the Chickenhawks (6:00-10:00 Thur-Sat.) and Krazy Korner for Dwayne Dopsie (zydeco) in the afternoons Thur-Sun.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Thank you skt54! Will Do! This is going to be awesome!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Petsi23, the free gift at the swamp tour is a pecan praline, we had them twice, nice little treat. We enjoyed the chargrilled oysters at Drago's way better than Acme, we all have our preferences.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,780 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

I did the Riverwalk once before, was not that impressed by it. I think you would have more options on Frenchmen street.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

This is just the best forum!!!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: First Timer in NOLA - August 2014

Jordansbulls as mentioned before the Riverwalk has been closed over a year and is due to reopen as an upscale outlet mall sometime in the next few months. Hopefully reviews after it re opens will be positive.