We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

Hi lovely forum people

I'm planning to travel to both Austin and New Orleans in May (about 3 days in each) and was considering using Amtrak to get between the two, but it certainly adds a lot of time to my journey, not to mention a night in San Antonio.

Cost isn't really an issue, I was wondering if people thought the scenery on the sunset limited was worth the extra time spent on the train?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

Megan

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

Although the train ride sounds interesting, I'd spend as much time in NOLA as possible, especially if you've never been before. 3 days isn't nearly enough in my opinion :)

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

Southwest has a direct flight to NO, 1 hour, 20 minutes, I'd take the plane.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

agree with above posters. Spend the time in New Orleans or Austin.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

Thanks so much for the advice everybody! Agreed it's far too short a time in both places so I'll take the flight. I'm sure you've saved me a bunch of time and regret!

Megan

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,729 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

Flight all day any day especially when you consider the cost won't be too much difference between the train and one way flight.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
795 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

As Jodi123 mentioned, Austin has recently added a non stop flight each day to New Orleans, and there is one non stop option on the return as well. That would absolutely be my first choice, and it's currently selling at $139 there, $129 return. Not bad at all.

7. Re: Austin to New Orleans: train or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:27