We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
J D
Maple Grove...
1 post
Save Topic
Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

Considering a trip to New Orleans, including swamp tour in outlying area and possibly out to some plantations and Cajun country. I mean no disrespect in asking this question....it's just that we have not traveled in the South before and so I don't know what to expect. Our family includes Latino, Caucasian, Asian, and biracial members. In most places no one seems to even notice or care, but there have been a couple of travel destinations where we felt, at best, uncomfortable at being stared at and, at worst, like our presence together was eliciting some degree of hostility. Would we be welcome in New Orleans as well as the surrounding areas?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

If you are in the French Quarter, people wouldn't know if you were from the U.S, Europe, Australia, Asia or wherever, they simply would not care about something like that. Same for Disney World or DC or any big tourist area. Outside of that zone then you may notice it a bit.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

My husband and I are a biracial couple and we traveled to NOLA for the first time last month. We were in the FQ as well as all around the other areas and we NEVER felt out of place or that anyone thought really ANYTHING about us!!! I hope you NEVER let being a biracial family keep you from traveling anywhere in this great big beautiful world!!! Because more exposure is what some people and some areas need to get over their ignorance, and it is beautiful families like ours that will change that forever!!!! ENJOY!!!!!

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

New Orleans is one of the most welcoming cities I have ever known. All sizes, shapes, colors, gay, straight, bi, trannie, it doesn't matter here. And that's one of the things I love about New Orleans. Free to be yourself. Have a wonderful trip!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

One of the things that most of us love about New Orleans, is that it is open and welcoming to everyone. Go and have a wonderful trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

I wholeheartedly agree with the others. No one will notice or care. And that goes for the neighborhoods outside of the Quarter as well. Enjoy yourselves!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

My family is bi-racial and we live in northern Louisiana. We visit New Orleans several times a year and h ave been for 25 years. Never, ever had a ny problems in New Orleans. Wish I could l d say the same for o t her places we h ave lived.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

Honestly, you and your family could be from "a galaxy far, far away" and no one would even notice!

Get some feathered boas and you'll blend right in!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,567 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

You will be fine enjoy NOLA.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

The history of New Orleans is that of a biracial society,,You may find this interesting:

www.voodoomuseum.com/index.php…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would a multiracial family be welcome around New Orleans?

I agree with the others. New Orleanians are a pretty easy going bunch and you'll be very welcome in our city!