We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my schedule!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Please review my schedule!

My husband and I (late twenties/early thirties) are making our very first trip to New Orleans for my 30th birthday March 18th-March 21st and I'd love some advice on what we have planned so far! (Restaurant and Bar questions to follow)

18th

Arrive early afternoon, check in/drop bags at Royal Sonesta

Wander around the french quarter with snack stops at acme and cafe du monde

Nap

Dinner at whatever will be the fanciest meal of the trip

Bar hop around the quarter

19th

Cajun Encounters City and Cemetery Tour

Lunch at French Market

Pharmacy Museum (I'm aware of the limited hours

Early Dinner

Already Booked Ghost Tour with Grayline

More bar hopping or Frenchmen music

20th

Spend the morning around the Garden District and Magazine Street

Hope the weather is good for some pool time at the hotel

Dinner Cruise on the Natchez

21st

Head home

Any major "must dos" i am missing?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my schedule!

Most here would say to skip the dinner on the cruise as there are many fabulous restaurants around. You could take the Algiers ferry across for $2 and have a drink at the Dry Dock Cafe.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my schedule!

food on the cruise is mediocre buffet food and gray line has the worst of all the ghost tours..sorry

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my schedule!

I answered your bar question, please skip the ferry.....and once you start walking around all your plans will go out the window...just relax and enjoy, Nola is a carefree non scheduled place....Just sit back, relax have a few drinks, then walk across the street and do it all over again!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my schedule!

Unfortunately those are the two things I can't change. :( My husband surprised me with the trip and had prepaid for those two items. I think he just told his travel agent to book a ghost tour, any ghost tour. And the Riverboat dinner was the only thing he wanted to do....There is definitely a reason I plan the vacations ;)

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my schedule!

Well if that is the only thing he wanted to do...then you have to go....lol...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,298 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review my schedule!

I would get rid of the nap part the day you arrive unless you are coming in from overseas.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review my schedule!

For the cemetery tour, I would use the non-profit "Save Our Cemeteries" organization, who actually help to preserve the cemeteries of New Orleans. I would suggest their tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1, which is just outside the Quarter.

Cafe Du Monde is well known, and therefore it gets very, very crowded except in early morning/late evening.

If you are going to Magazine St. for shopping, be aware that right in the Quarter you have Royal St. for higher end shopping, with Decatur St. and the French Market for more touristy stuff.

The Frenchmen St. music venues are right outside the Quarter, and should not be missed.

You will wish you had more than just a few days in New Orleans, I guarantee!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review my schedule!

Thank you all so much for your help! I've offically crossed the nap off my list, much to my husbands dismay. I haven't had anyone to bounce ideas off of so this forum has truly been helpful! (my husband keeps telling me its my trip, so we will do whatever makes me happy. I'm not complaining, its awesome, but sometimes a girl needs some input!)

I had no idea Royal was like a mini magazine street, that should save me some GD time!

As far as Cemetery tours, would just a St Louis number 1 tour be better than the cajun encounters city/cemetery? We've done a hop on hop off in Philly and felt we at least got to "see" the city in our short trip. So we were hoping for a similar experience here. We'd also like to see the rebuilding after the Katrina damage, as its part of American history that most people can't understand unless they were there. (I know to be respectful about taking photos and would never want to offend anyone.)

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review my schedule!

There are also some nice boutique shops on Chartres. Royal and Chartres provide many, many shopping opportunities in a much more compact area than Magazine. With only four days, I would not book more tours of any sort, but would spend much more time wandering and enjoying On the 20th, you can take the St. Charles streetcar up to the Garden District (get off at Jackson) wander up to Washington, have a nice early lunch at 11:30 (beginning at $16 each, plus .25 martinis) at Commander's Palace and go through the small Lafayette #1 Cemetery which is just across the street. IF you still want to, you can then walk 3 blocks over to Magazine and look around a bit there...there is a nice concentration of shops in that block or two around Washington/ Magazine. Be sure to call for reservations at Commander's and tell them you are celebrating a birthday....this, of course, would be in addition to your nice evening meal the first day!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please review my schedule!

OK SarahT....I think you should add a few more naps as that can become free time.

Keep your list of bars handy...