We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
291 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

Day 1 - arrived in New Orleans at 3:40 pm.

Took a taxi to our hotel, which took about an hour with traffic.

Checked in at Hilton St Charles (surprise) gold member of the day...name on plaque and room upgrade. Woo hoo!

Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel - had a Ramos Gin Fizz! Very cool bar that takes you back in time!

Loa Bar - had a "notorious" green door! Very different drinks made with fresh herbs! Intimate ambiance

August for dinner - Gnocchi (amazing!) and Bruleed goat cheese for appetizers, Duckling "dirty rice" and trout?? for entrees.

Carousel Bar - had a couple of drinks, one being Fleur De Lis! Very cool bar that rotates.

Day 2 -

Surreys for breakfast - so good!! The best breakfast of our trip! Bananas Foster French Toast and Shrimp & Grits...fresh squeezed orange juice.

National WWII Museum - Beyond Boundaries film with Tom Hanks! Wow, worth going just to see this with its special effects. Cool planes and tank displays too.

Garden District Walking Tour - saw the houses of Sandra Bullock, John Goodman, and the Mannings. Also saw Benjamin Button house.

Commanders Palace for lunch - amazing!! Crown and beads for us to wear....jazz band playing....good service...and .25 martinis! I had the gumbo, quail, and bread pudding soufflé!! Sooooo good!! Ryan had the turtle soup and fried oyster salad.

Lafayette Cemetary across the street to walk off food.

Walked the Magazine Street shops on the way back.

Avenue Pub - stopped for refreshments along the way - good selection of beer, but nothing special about the bar. No stools at bar.

Checked in at Hotel Mazarin - right in the French Quarter and was an awesome hotel with room access to balcony.

Walked up bourbon street....tried to go to French 75, but was packed!

Tropical Isle for a Hand Grenade.

GW Fins for dinner. We had Tuna and not sure what else! (The hand grenade made things fuzzy)

Frenchmen Street - d.b.a. - band was playing....met a couple who bought us two rounds of shots, in addition to whatever else we were drinking.

Preservation Hall - VIP seats - awesome performance!!

Day 3 -

Cafe Du Monde for breakfast....Cafe Au Lait and Beignets...disappointed with the service here!

Plantation and Swamp Tour - Oak Alley, Evergreen, and Cajun Encounters...this was nice to explore and take a sober break!

Napoleon House - had a couple of Pimm's Cups. Yum!

NOLA for dinner - stuffed wings for an app, drum fish and quail for entree, king cake bread pudding for desert.

Margaritaville, heading to Frenchmens street....live music for a round.

Three Muses - live music (really good) for drinks and fireball shots!

d.b.a. - blues band...stayed for one drink.

Walked back via Bourbon Street.

Day 4 -

French Quarter walking tour...

Stopped at Good Friends bar for a Bloody Mary along the way.

Stopped at Lafittes Blacksmith shop for another drink.

Muriel's for jazz brunch - amazing! Duck, potatoes, poached eggs mixture and vegetable plate.

Walked around Jackson Square.

Shopped the French Market and bought a mask.

Visited shops on Royal Street.

Bacchus Parade in grandstand seats...waited 3 hrs for it to start. Great seats though.

Dragos for a late dinner and drinks. Grilled and raw oysters. Shrimp bisque and gumbo.

Tried to catch a cab to Tipitinas at 10 pm....tried for an hour and then walked back to our hotel...disappointment of the week!

Day 5 -

Stanley's for breakfast. Really good! Eggs Stanley and Poached Egg Po Boy.

Royal Street and Chartres Street shopping. New shoes from Shoe Be Doo!!

Took a cab to city park...museum and gardens closed for Mardi Gras. Walked around.

Got a cab to take us to Willie Maes...but line was too long and it was too cold, so we just went back to french quarter.

Bar Tonique - really good drinks made with homemade juices and syrups! We had a Pimm's Cup and Moscow Mule.

Good Friends Bar for a Seperator! Soooo good!

Tried to go to El Gato Negro for margaritas, but it was too packed.

Walked back to Bourbon Street.

Pat O's for a Hurricane

Acme Oyster - wait was worth it! Raw oysters, craw puppies, beans and rice, bananas foster cheesecake, and oyster shooters!

Took a nap....then headed to Frenchmens Street:

The Maison for drinks and live music.

The Spotted Cat for drinks and live music - awesome!

13 Monaghan for a late night snack and drink - Tachos (tator tot nachos) yum!!

Blue Nile - $20 cover, but really good band!! Worth it!

Apple Barrel - live music and a few more drinks

Headed back to our hotel and stopped at:

Checkpoint Charlies - rock band and drinks

Balcony Music Club - a group of soul singers - awesome!

Bourbon Street again...

Day 6 - Mardi Gras!

Cafe Fleur De Lis for breakfast. Bacon Bloody Mary, crawfish omelette, and pancakes.

Balcony at Sonesta Hotel for the rest of the day. Threw beads and drinks included. Cold and rainy, so we didn't go to drag queen contest that we wanted to go to.

Bombay Club for dinner and stayed for drinks. Nice to get away from the craziness...this place was unique with an intimate setting.

Headed up Bourbon Street again....

Went to bed early...

Day 7 -

Cafe Envie for breakfast....not impressed! They have a hard time keeping the tables clean here.

Walked up the river.

Went to the Aquarium. Unexpected visit, but we enjoyed, especially the penguins!

Carousel Bar for a couple of drinks.

Antoine's for a couple more drinks and pomme de terres soufflé!

Airport for flight back.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

Sounds like a busy but great trip. I know the weather was just awful this year, so glad you made the most of it.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

Come back when it's not Mardi Gras and you will enjoy the city more. Agree about the service at Cafe du Monde. Walked out two days ago mid afternoon after waiting 15 min. 5 other tables waiting. No server, no recognition of even being alive. Morning Call or Cafe Beignet in the future for me.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

I am obsessed with the Julian Hakes Mojito shie at Shoe Be Doo! I walked passed them every day during MG and I'm contemplating a purchase online since they ship! I just don't know about the $498 price tag!!! They are bad a$# though and the only store in the USA that carries the real ones!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

I cannot think of much that you missed, but if you do, just head back to New Orleans, to fit those in.

Almost perfect, but sorry that a few places let you down - still, sounds like a great many high notes.

Thank you for reporting such a wonderful trip.

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
1,003 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

<<Agree about the service at Cafe du Monde.>>

Once, way back when, there WAS an "attitude," but even with that, the service was good. As the popularity has continued to grow, and the crowds have gathered, I feel that the service had gone way down.

We only stop in late at night, when things are slower, and the servers seem to have some life to them.

Hunt

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
291 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

@lynchtlcl - funny you should mention those shoes....those were the ones I fell in love with too!! I took home the blue ones!

And we did truly have a fabulous time, regardless of the weather and actually, up until Monday, the weather was fabulous! Looking forward to going back!!

7. Re: Trip Report - Mardi Gras First Timer!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 04:20