We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is New Orleans Seedy?

peterborough
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is New Orleans Seedy?

We have been trying to decide for our Anniversary where to go.

I have seen the grand canyon. But haven't seen sedona or phoenix

However my wife and I are considering traveling to New Orleans or Sedona.

It would be in mid April of this year 2014

The only thing my wife is concerned about with New Orleans is it being seedy, prostitues on the street, pan handlers etc.

Would you say New Orleans is seedy and full of prostitutes or was she given poor advice by someone?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,568 posts
1,135 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Is New Orleans Seedy?

<<Somehow "seedy" to me implies that sort of stuff that is secretive or hidden>>

Well, those aspects did, and still do to a degree, fit perfectly with Bourbon Street. However, they are not something that the average tourist will ever discover, or be confronted with. They did exist, but were usually out of sight of the normal visitors.

Some day, a writer might chronicle much that went on, in just a few blocks of Bourbon Street, and it WILL be seedy, by anyone's definition. Still, it was behind the scenes for almost all.

This is not unique to New Orleans. One could uncover much the same in Chicago, New York, Boston, or several other cities.

Hunt

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Is New Orleans Seedy?

I have been to both Sedona and to New Orleans and I would take New Orleans without a glimmer of hesitation. Very different types of destinations, but New Orleans is very special and, I think, very romantic. My favorite hotel is the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street. If is so elegant. Royal Street is my favorite street as well as it always has jazz street musicians. You could take a carriage ride to Jackson Square and take the street car up Charles Avenue to the Garden District to have a jazz brunch at The Commander's Palace. That, in my mind, would be a perfect way to celebrate an anniversary.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Is New Orleans Seedy?

Sedona vs New Orleans?? You've got to be kidding me! Seedy!!?? Just go on to Sedona

34. Re: Is New Orleans Seedy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 04:50