We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blues venues in New Orleans

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Blues venues in New Orleans

Hello,

I will be in New Orleans for a week in April and am trying to find some information on the possibility of different types of blues in specific venues around the city.

Whether there are actually dedicated venues or not i am unsure and doubtful but does anyone know where i would be most likely to see some more early style country/delta blues and boogie woogie around the place?

any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou kindly.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Check out the calendar at www.offbeat.com, Funky Pirate has Willie Lockett and blues might be found at Apple Barrel and boogie woogie might be done by the Liberty Belles at the Ww2 museum depending what the show offerings are.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

If you're able to catch Rooster and the Chickenhawks, they are a great band. Their website says they are playing at the Singsing club on Bourbon Thursday to Saturday.

There's also blues music at the Funky Pirate.

Alberta
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

I have heard to watch for Big Al at The Funky Pirate

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band...Funky Pirate...700 block of Bourbon...Sun. evening, 8-til close

Gary Brown...Mon. evening at Funky Pirate 8-close...great sax blues

Rooster and Chickenhawks..SingSing..300 Block of Bourbon, Thur-Sun, 6-10:00

Gazebo Cafe, Thur-Sat afternoons...outdoor venue with drinks, food/blues

Balcony Music Club..Decatur St. near Esplanade...various bands beginning around 6 pm

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

hugely appreciated people! thankyou!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

There is a music calendar at Offbeat website: Most of the schedules indicate genre (aka blues). Many of venues are mentioned above.

www.offbeat.com/new-orleans-concert-listings/

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
103 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Don't miss Li'l Red and Big Bad at the Balcony Music Club on Monday nights, 6 - 9 pm, corner of Decatur and Esplanade. Terrific blues band and singer Red is always terrific fun. Small club, good sight lines and room to dance which you should definitely do!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Willie Lockett, APBBB is not at FP anymore. They have some gigs at Check Point Charlies but I don't have dates yet.

Mark Penton & The Pentones are great. They are at Bamboulas on Frenchmen Thursday nights 9-1, and at Funky Pirate on Fri/Sat/Sun 4-8

Danny Alexander Blues Band hosts a jam at D Mac's on Thursday nights. That is always fun too. The musicians who show up to jam are frequently delightful.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 16:24
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Big Al is fabulous. He has the perfect gravelly blues voice. He is normally scheduled to perform Thursday through Saturday, However, his health is a bit iffy as the result of his weight so he doesn't always show. If he's feeling well, you'll find few blues performances that top Big Al's. The band that backs him up -- or whoever is subbing for Big Al the nights he doesn't perform -- is great, too.

One observation: he gets raunchier and raunchier as the evening wears on and, while I'm not embarrassed by the raunchy songs and the suggestive commentary, I prefer listening to Big Al putting his own stamp on the blues classics like "St. James Infirmary."

Funky Pirate is a smoking-allowed venue.

There's no cover charge, but you'll be required to buy a drink for every set you listen to. The first night my husband and I went to FP, we had just finished a lovely dinner that included a full bottle of wine. At the beginning of the evening, we weren't interested in ordering more liquor. We told the waitress to bring us some club soda and if that didn't qualify as a drink to charge us as if it were beer. She told us the club soda would be fine.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blues venues in New Orleans

Consider checking the Old Mint and the US Park Service Jazz Historical Park for both daytime and nighttime concerts. The daytime Park Service concerts are free. The night time concerts at the Old Mint aren't. It's not your typical crazy night on Bourbon St. but it's a great music experience. Incidentally, Bourbon St. has more venues featuring rock cover bands than blues bands. Frenchmen Street and the Treme will likely have more blues music.

The Park in NO is staffed by two park rangers, although one is now on tour with Sting and Paul Simon. I mention this detail to let you know the level of musical talent the park rangers themselves have. The ranger chooses different styles of music and schedules some of the most talented musicians in the city to perform. Ranger Matt plays guitar, slide guitar, banjo, and (I think) re-verb guitar.

We heard a wonderful blues program, "Songs of the Lower Mississippi Delta" featuring Erica Falls. She is the musician who sang "Woke Up This Morning with my Mind Stayed on Freedom" in the movie THE BUTLER.