We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MasterCard

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
MasterCard

Do not play on bringing too much cash

Is mastercardcacceoted ie: food , bars, taxi

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,913 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MasterCard

Yes...and no. :)

Like any city, the vast majority of restaurants accept credit cards. There are a couple that don't, the names of which escape me but someone can hopefully chime in.

I seem to remember having to tell them I was using credit at the airport cab line, and the cab wasn't equipped with a credit card machine; the driver used that app on her smart phone to process it. But that's what a lot of the airport cabs do in my area so I'm used to it. I've always paid cash for taxi trips around town. Can't imagine you're going to make friends with cabbies trying to charge an $8 fare. :)

Bars...well, I always pay cash so can't really recall. Most places you're paying by the drink versus "running a tab", and just like here at home, if they agree to run a tab they like to hold your credit card, and I'm not realy a fan of that.

So....bring more cash than you were planning, just in case!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MasterCard

Many of the "local" type plain ol' neighborhood bars, which charge more moderate drink prices, only accept cash. You will often get a scowl if you are charging less than $10.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 00:24
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MasterCard

Johnny Po Boys (and you've gotta try the breakfast biscuit!) accepts cash only...but you can get two of them for under 10 bucks!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MasterCard

Maspero's I think is still cash only....non hotel bars its better to use cash.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MasterCard

Killer Po boys inside Erin Rose is cash only. Cafe DuMonde, Cassemento's, and Mother's (I think) along with many of the quick eat/drink places like pizza, gyros, tacos, go beers from those quick window places, etc. are all cash only also.

As a guide.... On a 3 day weekend we usually go through about $200 cash or so and for a full week during MG we spent $450 cash. This was in addition to card charges. Some of the cash spent was bit because we couldn't use a card, but that it was just easier and made more sense to pay $5 or $7 cash than to charge.

You'll need some small bills to tip street performers, bellman, and taxis. You will also need exact change $1.25 one way or $3 for an all day pass for the busses and streetcars.

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MasterCard

Thanks everyone will bring about 500 cash for a three day weekend -should that be enough

Was thinking if we had a nice meal over100 would use credit card or 40 for cab

Countdown is on 29 more sleeps hope it is warmer than here

Freezing rain and snow warming today :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MasterCard

yeah, we know how you feel, guys...it'll NEVER be spring (even tho it starts at 1 pm today! LOL!)

Keep in mind there are also LOTS of ATM's around if you run out of cash. How much you need will depend on what you eat/drink/buy. Also, if you have a points card and spend more that $50, you might want to add that to your credit card (altho the exchange rate sucks!)

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MasterCard

Thanks Hermicane

Exchange rate sucks .89 yesterday plus all the bank charges to convert

Have u been there in the spring Wondering what kind of clothes to pack looks like it has also been cool in Nola

Getting excited !!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MasterCard

by April 18th, the weather is usually PERFECT...not sure what it will be this year, as the winter has been crazy everywhere. By that time tho, it should be really nice! Never hurts to have a light jacket or flannel shirt with you! Start checking the temps the week BEFORE you go, which will give you a MUCH better idea! Here's a two week forecast link for you to check:

timeanddate.com/weather/usa/new-orleans/ext

renfrew ontario
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MasterCard

great thank you :)