We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

We will be there in May. Is this place worth a visit?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

It's closed 'forever' in the form of Riverwalk Marketplace. It's being reopened at some point this year as an outlet mall. I don't know if it will be open by May or not.

http://www.riverwalkmarketplace.com/

Edited: 21 March 2014, 12:57
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

The official date is late spring/summer, which probably means summer/early fall so no, probably not open by May.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

It definitely won't be open by May.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,688 posts
1,304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

IrishFan,

Interesting development, and new to me. The Riverwalk was looking long in the tooth on our last visit, so I am not surprised.

Considering many of the cruise passengers, I guess that an outlet mall is probably in keeping with what many want - more t-shirt shops.

Oh well, whatever packs 'em in.

Thanks,

Hunt

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

An outlet mall?!! Sounds like such a waste of a great location. Or am I being snooty? I was a cruise passenger there this year and I would not spend 5 minutes in an Outlet Mall so they don't need to rush to open it, if that is all it is.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

Outlet shopping is a big deal to a lot of overseas visitors, and a lot of domestic tourists too. For as many people ( I would be one of them) who probably have no interest in the place, there are probably 2-3 more who will want to spend a bit of time (and money!) there.

It has to be better than the shell of a place that was Riverwalk before they finally pulled the plug on it. I used to walk over to Café DuMonde there from the Hilton once in a while. The place was a ghost town.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

Not sure the take-up would be that high, although I recognize that it could be a draw for some. It seems that the entrepreneurs are working from a stereo-type of cruisers that is becoming increasingly less accurate. As well,on my cruise out of NOLA, the overwhelming majority (90% +) drove to the port which is different from the big cruise ports like Port Canaveral where the percentage of drive-ins is substantially lower. Once the ship docked, they were in their cars and gone. The idea might work better if it was a big volume stop on itineraries rather than mainly a departure port. Seems to be that this wonderful location would be better utilized to draw on the massive number of tourists to city of New Orleans rather than aimed at old-time cruisers. Just my humble opinion.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

I'm sure they're drawing on both cruiser folks and the huge number of visitors attending events at the convention center next door, plus other visitors as well as locals.

You should see the huge number of posts on the New York forum from visitors wanting to forego a day of seeing the sites in New Yok City in favor of an all-day excursion to an outlet mall.

I don't get it, but there definitely seems to be a market for this stuff. Time will tell I guess, if i's a success in New Orleans.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

If it comes down to Neiman Marcus Last Call at the new outlet mall or the same old tired tourist shops one finds at these "marketplaces" nationwide, I'll take the Neimans!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riverwalk Marketplace still closed?

Oh there are many more choices than that if people are willing to think outside the box.