We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age limits & safety questions...

Saint Clair...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Age limits & safety questions...

My 18 yr old daughter & I are trying to go to NOLA in mid-June. This being just us girls, I have a few concerns....

Is there an age limitation for her getting into music venues or restaurant/bars? She's very interested in the music and the FQ itself. I get the drinking age limits and that there are strip clubs and stuff like that, I just don't want to get there and her not be able to enjoy the FQ music and ambiance.

Also, safety. I've been looking at several places to stay. Most are west of Canal St. towards the Garden District (mostly due to our budget), I'm assuming walking after dark to & from our hotel from the FQ would not be a good idea, right? So, would renting a car be a safer option for getting around & cheaper than cabs??

Any advice, suggestions, etc are appreciated!

KC

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

renting a car in NOLA is not a good thing, especially if you plan on being in the French Quarter. For what it would cost for a rental, use that toward a hotel and stay in the Quarter. June is generally a VERY inexpensive time to stay. Shop around! Some restaurants (Coop's, Yo Mama's) have gaming machines, so no one under the age of 21 is allowed in. I'm not sure about clubs, as I have very little interest in seeing live performances, so I don't know, but MANY people on this site WILL know, and I'm sure they'll help you out on that one.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

Do check out pricing for the quarter and also take a look at the frequently asked questions and things to do to get you started'.......

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

Consider applying the anticipated cost of rent car, cab fare and/or parking towards the room rate for a well located hotel, obviating the need to incur those other costs.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

What are some of the hotels you're looking at that are west of Canal? If they're Downtown or in the CBD you may be able to easily walk to the FQ. We frequently stay in that area and are usually just a few blocks across Canal.

If you stay towards Central City and and the Lower Garden District if you can stay on or near St. Charles you can take the Streetcar. A Bed and Breakfast is also an option.

As stated, renting a car is a bad idea. Even if you end up too far from the FQ to walk or far from the streetcar line, cabs are plentiful and inexpensive.

As for your daughter, she can enter establishments that sell alcohol (including bars/clubs that have live music) if she's 18 unless that particular venue has their own rules against it. City law allows it. She can not enter any place that has a video gaming machine (as stated above). Louisiana law actually allows people aged 18-20 to drink with parental supervision (including bars/restaurants, if they allow it).

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

not to forget mentioning, if you DO rent a car to go into the Quarter, your chances of finding parking are slim to none. And if you do, it'll be a good hike to walk around just to the car and back.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

Parking in the FQ is $20-$30 a day. Agree you should stay in or near FQ. There are a few venues where you can take your daughter, esp outdoors. In the 300 block of Bourbon there is an outdoor venue where you can hear live Jazz and have a drink and limited selection of food. There is another at Larobe Park near the French Market, (they usually play Blues there). You can take her to Preservation Hall. They used to allow kids in Fritzel's - Jazz , (700 block of Bourbon), but I heard they stopped. You could call and ask. Most bars will not let her in. While the state allows parents to take a kid in, most bars and clubs don't.

7. Re: Age limits & safety questions...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:16