We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just arrived, best lunch?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey Shore...
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Just arrived, best lunch?

Have never been before and arrived yesterday. Had a mediocre and expensive lunch at a stall in the FM and want to find some better food the next few days. I see a lot of people recommending Commanders and Muriel's, is there any others "off the beaten path" for a good vegetarian po boy, gumbo and maybe a good steak? Any suggestions are appreciated. We aren't looking for fancy, just quality food. Thanks so much. We are in NOLA til Friday.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Not sure that you will find a vegetarian PoBoy or a steak there, but I recommend Red Gravy for a memorable lunch. It is at 125 Camp, (just across Canal at Chartres from the FQ). They are doing construction close, they are just past the fence/ barricade. Red Gravy is owned and operated by a transplanted Jersey Girl, an awesome chef. You will find wonderful, inventive food at a reasonable price. Everything is made fresh to order so don't go if you are looking to grab something fast. It is one of the places we try to go every trip, (which for us is once a month). I believe you will find a vegetarian choice, just not sure it will be a poboy.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 13:28
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Red Gravy, Muriel's, El Gato Negro for an AWESOME steak. Where are you staying? Are you looking for stuff close by or are you willing to wander?

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Upon reading your question, I was all set to make a recommendation. My dear friend KCK beat me o the punch! Ditto everything she wrote......except we don't get to go every month :( .

Jersey Shore...
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Thanks so much...will check it out especially since I am traveling with a NJ executive chef. sounds perfect.

Jersey Shore...
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Thanks so much...will check it out especially since I am traveling with a NJ executive chef. sounds perfect.

Willing to wander for sure (usually rent bikes when we travel)- staying on Royal Street

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Vegan poboy ....at Killer Po-Boys inside the Erin Rose Bar

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

It's further out, but since you're planning to rent bikes... Caprese po-boy at Parkway! People always talk about their roast beef po-boy, which to be honest I find much inferior to the roast beef at Frady's round the corner from where I live. Now the Caprese one... I wouldn't say it's "to die for", cause I wouldn't *die* for food, but it's very very good. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
630 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

For great creole, go where the local's go The BonTon Café. Excellent lunch or dinner.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

If looking for vegetarian options, Carmo is a great spot downtown too. We often send guests.

Jersey Shore...
Level Contributor
95 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just arrived, best lunch?

Thanks all! We appreciate the suggestions. We actually tried Red Gravy for lunch and Negro Gato for dinner and completely enjoyed both. Will be exploring the Garden District today or tomorrow ....any suggestions there?