We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool bars and restaurants!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cool bars and restaurants!

We are going to be in New Orleans for the kings of Leon concert next Friday. Short trip! Only 2 nights, but I want to enjoy it to the fullest. We are staying at Le Pavillon, and I guess I'm just wondering from the locals what the best/coolest bars are in the area?? Ambience? Drinks? Restaurants? Not too expensive but just really good food. Really excited about the trip! And appreciate all suggestions me and my husband. First trip by ourselves since our baby was born. Thanks!!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

You are probably not getting much of a response because there are dozens, actually hundreds, of restaurants and bars, each of which are "cool" or "best" to somebody. Best to confine each posted inquiry to one general topic (i.e. bars, food, music) and give us some specific information on your particular preferences and expectations; most everybody wants and expects good value.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 18:08
Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

We like to visits places that a lot of people don't really know about. We like the touristy places of course, but we like off the beaten path kind of places, too. We haven't been away by ourselves since May of 2012, sooo.... We are just looking for restaurants and bars where we can just drop in throughout the day and stop for a little while. Does that help? We just want to relax but make the most of our time there.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

Close to Le Pavillon, Luke is a pretty neat all-around restaurant and bar with 50 cent half-shell oysters during happy hour. Also close by is Little Gem Saloon which has a pretty nice restaurant downstairs, sometimes with music, and a feature music venue upstairs.

In the French Quarter you might enjoy SoBou, a restaurant with a very nice but informal ambience, and featuring small plates throughout the day and evening. One of my lesser known favorites in the French Quarter is Vacherie, which is an upscale but relatively reasonably priced restaurant serving breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner (check website for specific serving hours). Deja Vu is a VERY casual 24/7 (sometimes comes in handy) French Quarter table service restaurant with full service bar.

My favorite off of Bourbon St. French Quarter tourist friendly plain ol' locals' bars are Chart Room on Bienville St. at Chartres St., Harry's Corner on Chartres St. at Dumaine St., and Boondock Saint on St. Peter St. between Bourbon St. and Royal St. Must visit touristy but very cool anyway bars are Pat O'Brien's, one of the Tropical Isles (my favorite is on Bourbon St. at Orleans Ave.), and Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (almost entirely candlelit and in one of the oldest surviving buildings in the entire Mississippi valley).

For live music listing, see:

www.offbeat.com/new-orleans-concert-listings/

Edited: 03 April 2014, 20:08
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

Cajun Mike's, 116 Baronne St few blocks from your hotel. Small, excellent food, dive type atmosphere. Gumbo one the best I've had. PoBoys loaded. Good Cuban sandwich also. Inexpensive drinks with some of the local brews on tap. Check out their reviews on Trip Advisor, Yelp and Urban Spoon. Copper Monkey on Conti between Bourbon and Royal Sts another unassuming location with very good local food and atmosphere, non smoking. MRB on St Phillip St between Chartres and Royal. Good food, nice courtyard. Cash only at the bar but the food section accepts debit and credit cards. Crawfish, local specialities. Excellent catfish.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

SoDak, might MRB be on St Phillip between Decatur and Chartres? I confuse easily.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

You are right kjosker! Between Decatur and Chartres. Brain fart on my part. Watch out when you go in you may trip over the three legged dog that use to hang out at Johnny White's on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

In my opinion you can't beat Pat O'Brien's. Beautiful drinking court yard with a fountain and sunshine during the day and that same fountain lights up and flames at night! LOTS of varieties of drinks too...something for every one. Tourist place yes, but locals go there too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

They even have Johnny Whites old sign in MRBs . Just off Bourbon on Toulouse is the Toulouse dive bar. Run of the mill bar but if bearded Pete is tending bar tell him Bobby in Florida sent you. He will treat you right.

9. Re: Cool bars and restaurants!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16