We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

we will be in nola 5 full days. do you think that renting a car during an afternoon to the oak alley plantation is worth it?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

Carola--The grounds at Oak Alley are absolutely worth a visit. The trees are the most magnificent I have ever seen. I didn't care too much for the house/tour thing, but walking around outside was spectacular!

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

I would definitely rent a car. The tour companies that will take you there don't give you near enough time for the whole thing. St. Joe plantation is right next door and worth a visit too. Laura is right down the road, and also good.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

There's something worth to make a stop in our way from french quarter to the plantations?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

I would recommend doing both Oak Alley and the Laura plantations. Oak Alley was an English run plantation, Laura was a French plantation therefore both lifestyles were very different. Makes for an interesting and educational combo tour.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

I totally agree with Porelly. Rent a car and visit both OAK ALLEY and LAURA. They are each significant in their own way. Read about them before visiting so you will know a little of the history before going.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

You don't have to rent a car to visit the plantations. There are some very good tours you can take, leaving the driving to a professional, and you can relax along the way. The plantations are very nice and certainly worth the visit.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

Vera, I prefer a tour too, but there will be three of us and we think it will be cheaper if we rent a car

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

Both were run by French Creole families, but you are correct that the two plantations are each very unique.

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

We visited St. Joseph plantation, which is nearby, and the tour was very nice. It is also next door to the plantation home that was featured in the film 'The Skeleton Key,' and although you can't go inside, you can walk around the grounds. Unfortunately for us it started to rain so we didn't get to wander over. We left St. Joe and went to Oak Alley for lunch. They have pretty decent dining.

10. Re: oak alley plantation. worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:16