We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stroudsburg, PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

When planning our trip to NO for the French Quarter Festival, catching Kermit Ruffins was a "must-do" on our list. Because of all of the musical choices on that list our only option was to check him out at Bullet's for his standing Tuesday night gig. I did a good deal of research on the bar, realizing that this wasn't your usual tourist joint or neighborhood. Plus, we were bringing our senior citizen parents with us - so safety was a concern. Throughout our first few days in town we brought up our plans to go to Bullet's to several people - with mixed responses. Our cabbie from the airport seemed to approve, the concierge at the Monteleone never heard of it but looked concerned when we told her the neighborhood, and the young kid at FreeWheelin' said in a funny way, "Oh - that place??"

Undeterred, we jumped in a cab from the French Quarter at 5:40 and told our driver (older guy with a hook for a hand...) that we wanted to go to Bullet's. He was stumped (no pun intended), so I pulled up the address on my phone and used the GPS to guide the way. When we pulled up it surely was a rough neighborhood, but not the worst I've seen - although I wouldn't walk there as a tourist from the FQ, and I certainly wouldn't walk back. I jumped out of the cab and went to the door to take a peek inside to scope it out. It was dimly lit, with a lot of empty tables running up the middle of the floor and spots still available at the bar. Perfect - particularly because my Mom has a hard time standing for long periods of time. I went back and fetched my wife and my folks from the cab, and we headed inside. We paid our $10 each to the doorman (who we later found out was 'Little Bullet') and went inside. Once we got inside we discovered that ALL of the empty tables were "Reserved." Just as we were thinking we wouldn't have a place to sit, one of the bartender/waitresses came out, as friendly and accommodating as could be, and marched my parents right up to the front table to sit with some ladies from CA who were acquaintances with Bullet. She then made sure we had two bar stools right by the table so that we had a place close by. This was greatly appreciated, and let us know that we were going to be well-taken care of.

We settled in and proceeded to order drinks - getting the set-ups of rum and vodka. I love this idea - a pint bottle of booze, a bucket of ice, mixers and a glass for make-it-yourself drinks for $18?? Sign me up! While waiting for Kermit to arrive we made ourselves at home, having nice conversations with the staff, locals, and other tourists that were packing in. Got introduced to Bullet and before you knew it Kermit was taking to the mic.

This is where the night went from something cool to something extraordinary. I love music, and I'm not prone to hyperbole - but this was the best night of music I've ever had in my life. It wasn't like seeing a band in a bar or club, and it sure as hell wasn't like a concert. It was like being invited to the coolest neighborhood block party ever thrown, in a neighborhood where everyone is a great musician and makes delicious barbecue. Right from the start you could tell that Kermit was going to make sure you had a good time, working his way through standards with heaps of personality and deft musicianship. There were several guest performers throughout the night, for the most part seemingly wandering in unannounced to join in the fun. Kermit's little girl was adorable singing a couple of songs, his niece brought some R&B grooves to a couple of tunes, and Nayo Jones shined on a gorgeous rendition of "At Last." Other guests jumped in to play drums, bass, and electric guitar - bringing a ridiculous spirit of improvisation to the night. I was beside myself with happiness - at one point looking at my wife with a disbelieving glance mid-song, shaking my head and asking, "Do you believe this?!?"

Midway through the night I went outside to get some grub from the food trucks parked right outside. Everyone told us we had to get the BBQ from the smoker - and it was great! Two pieces of chicken, ribs and sliced smoked sausage with mac&cheese and potato salad for $10?? Yes, please.

Back to Kermit and the BBQ Swingers, though. Great renditions of "Take the A Train," "Skokiaan," "When I Die," "Treme Song," and many, many more. These guys were amazing, with the keyboard player blowing our socks off with his virtuoso solos and the rhythm section making sure everything kept moving along nicely. Kermit, though, was so much fun to watch. From what I gather these shows at Bullet's are a LOT looser than at other venues, but that added to the party atmosphere. Kermit played his horn, sang his tunes, and kept the crowd entertained for three hours with a huge smile on his face and a wink in his eye. More to the point, it felt like you were partying with Kermit - and he made no secret of the fact that he was partying with you. He made reference several times to how "silly" he got on Tuesday nights, how we shouldn't pay attention to half of the crazy stuff he was going to say, and reminding the packed house after every other song that "WE PARTYIN'!!"

The night was a dizzying sensory overload. The music, the booze, the people, the dancing, the food, the smiles and laughter and feeling that you were somewhere special. It blew me away. I would go back in a heartbeat, and I give it my highest recommendation.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

Wow! I need to do this! Sounds like you had an amazing experience. You have me sold! Thanks so much for sharing..I love your enthusiasm..made me feel like I was there too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

The Bullets shows became a bit more crowded after he stopped playing at the Vaughan's, but I'd still say this is the best of his weekly gigs. And yes, that keyboard player is amazing.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

We went to Bullets last October to hear Kermit, and our experience was almost identical to yours! Kermit is so friendly - he almost seems like a friend that you have known for a long time. We had a wonderful time that night...and the food from the smoker was one of the best - and cheapest - meals we had in New Orleans! Glad you had a great time!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

Tack on one more to our ever expanding bucket list...any problem getting a cab after the show?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

Cajun, cabdrivers know the place and know of the event. There are quite a few cabs cruising around close to the time the show ends. I've been at Bullet's a few times and I never had a problem calling a cab there.

NJ
Level Contributor
235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

Kermit Ruffins is a MUST SEE for anyone visiting New Orleans. Haven't seem him at Bullets yet, but hopefully next trip.

Union City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

I love this! I have been wanting to go but my travel companions never seem to share my love for this sort of adventure. Think I would be ok alone?

Edited: 24 April 2014, 17:35
Stroudsburg, PA
Level Contributor
71 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

There was a guy sitting next to us at the bar that was flying solo - we talked to him for a while and he seemed to be enjoying himself. I don't see any issues.

Even better, tell your pals to just do it... They'll thank you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

We visited last month and had a great time. Below is a link to our review:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kermit at Bullet's - great, Great, GREAT Experience!!

I was with JLR last October and yes, it's a must for Kermit fans. A really fun night with really great food.