We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does your journey take?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset, England
Level Contributor
802 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How long does your journey take?

I am curious on how long it takes people to get to New Orleans. Our journey consists of a 2 hour journey to the airport - a transatlantic flight approx 9 hours - over night stay in Orlando - then a flight to MSY approx 2 hours.

I have read that some of you travel by train, bus, car etc and just wondered how long your journey takes.

Thank you for taking time to post your answers.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does your journey take?

From Lewes DE, 2 hours to either BWI (Baltimore) or PHL (Philadelphia), and a two and a half hour flight if direct.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does your journey take?

I live here most of the time now but my previous journey would be a twenty hour car ride from South Dakota. If I was flying I would drive 64 miles to the nearest airport, fly to Minneapolis then to Memphis or Atlanta if I couldn't get a non stop from Minneapolis to New Orleans. all of the above just flying time would be about 4 hours. However flight delays due to weather, mechanical etc would often lead to long layovers. On more than one occasion driving the 20 hours would have been the shorter trip!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does your journey take?

An hour and fifteen minute flight or about 11 hours in a car. Driving is a boring trip through the endless Florida panhandle.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does your journey take?

our actual flight from Toronto is 3.5 hours direct. However, because it's to the US, we have to be at the airport 2 hours in advance of the flight. Add 1/2 hour for travel, that brings the total time to 6 hours....a LONG six hours! LOL!

Edited: 26 April 2014, 12:00
London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does your journey take?

2 hours and 36 minutes non stop from Detroit. We always go down the day before to ensure that there are no delays at the boarder and the hotels by the airport offer a great Park n Fly rate.

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
802 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does your journey take?

SoDacMac I can't believe you drove 20 hours to get there that is dedication. Hermicane we also have to hang around airports for hours to fly to US usually 3 hours befor flight so with car journey and wait we are usually exhausted before we begin our flight lol

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does your journey take?

I have an hour and a half drive to Newark (more non-stops than Philly), then a 3 hour flight to MSY; I guess I shouldn't complain after seeing what some of you have to go through. I stopped using connecting flights after a debacle when my initial flight arrived 2 hours late, causing me to miss the connecting flight, causing me to sit around Dulles for 4 1/2 hours, causing me to finally get home at around 1 AM, when I should have been home around 6 PM....never again.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 13:40
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,839 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does your journey take?

6 and a half hours via megabus or 5 and a half hours via vehicle.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does your journey take?

That's why I drive Tom! I'm in control. Stop when I want. Interstate 75 mph all the way. The three dogs travel with. Don't have to put up with narrow seats, someone kicking the back of my seat, rude fellow travelers, smelly take on food, cramped stinky bathrooms etc etc.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does your journey take?

Around 5 hours drive depending on the traffic around Baton Rouge. The most it's ever taken us was 6 hours when there was an accident on the Atchafalaya Basin.