We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

As a (sussed out) surprise birthday present, my husband is taking me to NOLA on May 2-7th. He is sweet, but does not plan things well. We both love music (mostly jazz and blues) and seafood. Any places we shouldn't miss? It will likely be my only trip there and usually I plan like mad for any time off but I'm super busy at work trying to get things done by the time we leave, so don't have much time to plan on my own. Any suggestions on "must see" and "must avoid" would be oh-so-appreciated!

Lucky Lady who doesn't want to miss out on a long-dreamed of trip to NO.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

I know where I would be headed...

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

DEFINITELY do the NO JazzFest! You will have access to so much good food and music that you might have sensory overload. It's fabulous! Go all weekend and you will be satiated!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Are you staying in the French Quarter? The Funky Pirate Blues Club, 727 Bourbon Street, is a fun stop you may want to make. Fri, Sat & Sun Mark Penton plays 4:30-8:00. Big Al Carson and the BluesMasters play 8:30- midnight. Both bands are great.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Review all the posts on this forum for the past few days and you will have a wealth of info and ideas.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
665 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Actually, I'm worse than a poor planner (non-planner is more like it) and the great thing about New Orleans is that while there are a nearly infinite number of things to see and do and the sheer quantity of attractions might drive one to try to make the most of every second, it also is perfect for the non-planners of the world to just show up and immediately have a good time without doing anything. Good luck and enjoy!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Thank you -- that sounds perfect!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

You've eased my mind; thank you!

chicago
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Must agree with Chris K! You don't need--or want--to over plan New Orleans. If you wander a few minutes, you'll find something interesting. If you spend your time running from one planned excursion to another, you'll miss the charm.

I don't know if I'd spend my first and possibly only trip at Jazz Fest, though. You'd hear wonderful music, but you'd miss a lot of the city. And the big music festival scene just isn't for everyone. Maybe one day, not the whole weekend?

For seafood, try Deenies in the French Quarter.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

Thank you -- as a type A+ (lol), I do tend to try to do too much at all times. We do have 4 nights and 5 days and that will hopefully be enough times to "laissez les bon temps rouler" all over us!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! My husband is planning our 1st trip to NOLA in 2 days

I don't know if you made it to the Fest or not, but it is not just music. There is amazing Louisiana food, unavailable anywhere else! There are amazing arts and crafts, Contemporary and Louisiana. You can see wood working, the file man (It's what you put in gumbo), a blacksmith and more. There is culture (Native American exhibits and Brasil is the featured country exhibit this year), and photography, history, cooking demos by local and/or well-acclaimed chefs and interviews with famous and local people. They interviewed Santana last week and Uncle Lionel a few years ago, may he rest in peace now. And, the people.....people-watching, people-interacting, it's all incredibly wonderful.