We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
558 reviews
Save Topic
Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

After a successful trip to the Dominica Republic karst year for my 40th bday, mom n I are n the road together again!

Flew a great and early checked in flight on Southwest from Dallas to New Orleans, in the FQ at Monteleone by 11:30. Early n tasty lunch at Mr B's, mom enjoyed $1.50 Bloody Mary, I enjoyed $5 fantastic pink grapefruit margarita. Consumed 2 loaves of hot French bread with real butter-I love vacation food! Mom had BBQ shrimp and I had shrimp n pasta, I needed the bib, too! Walked off lunch for a while, checked out Omni pool-what a view, asked front desk for pass key and they let us up to check it out so give it a whirl-great bar area!! then back to hotel to check in and do some pool time. Cleaned up for dinner, stopped for music along the ways and on to Irene's for dinner. Not great service but good bruschetta, tasty crab gratin, drum meunière and drum crevette were good, corn maque choux was great, mom said sweet potato mash was really good. My 1st time there and overall good but not great, mom said it's usually great so they get one more chance. Up the street to Lafittes for frozen purple drinks, walked up bourbon but it was an early start n moms wiped out-and a bit buzzed so back to room. I ran to walgreens n called to check on hubby, it was a wild first night!! ;)

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Keep it coming Beachbum-I too love vacation food! (and vacation drink as well).

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Keep it coming!! YAY!! Love live ones!!

stockport
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Lover of vacation food, looking forward to trip report

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Second loving the live one! Also, love to see a mom n daughter trip - I am blessed with some great memories of them as you will be too!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

I love vacation food too, especially there from what I've heard. One of the biggest reasons I want to go, aside from the history and just seeing the beautiful city of course, is for the food! So many restaurants I want to check out, but I'm only there for 2 days so a bit worried I may have to eat constantly! ha ha (and worse, I can't eat much when it's really hot!).

That's great you are there with your mom, I'm sure she is loving having some travel daughter time too. These things means so much to our parents and you'll remember the memories always. I only travelled a couple times with my folks and loved it. I looked at going to NO a couple years ago with my mom and dad for Christmas, but they chose Florida in the end as they wanted a more relaxing holiday as they recently had a lot of stress and busy-ness. Now I wish we went to NO instead then as my dad passed away last year and I know he would love it there. Oh well, he did enjoy Florida at least. Maybe I'll plan a trip with my mom to New Orleans, I think she'd love it!

Happy Travels! I can't wait to go in a couple weeks too!

Denton
Level Contributor
356 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

We are an Aggie family, too! I am the mom in this trip, taking my daughter and two grandkids (11) to NO in June. I am hanging on every word of your report . . . keep it coming!

Sandy (in Denton)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
676 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Vacation food! Ha, you like VACATIONS! Nice trip report lets hear more!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

great report Aggie! Love hearing about you and your mom on the road together. It sure makes great memories! Ours would have LOVED New Orleans. "Vacation food"...I like that! And especially poole's addition of vacation drinks! :) Irene's service can be hit and miss (depending on the server) but the food NEVER disappoints! Glad you'll listen to mom to give it another try! Keep the report going! :) And GO AGGIES!!!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

Love the report Aggie! Sounds like you guys are having a great time...hum a grapefruit margarita. That sound really good!

And if I may add my 2 cents-----Roll Tide :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from New Orleans, mom n daughter trip 5/5-9 2014

just saw Roadtripper's new avatar...go Bruins! :) (sorry Aggie...don't mean to turn this into a sports thing!:)