We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Brooklyn, New York
5 posts
Save Topic
How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Our son is in grad school in NO this year. We're wondering if a Christmas visit makes sense both weather and activity wise? I'd love to hear opinions!

Special Offer
New Orleans Tour
172 reviews
from US$36.00*
US$45.00
New Orleans Bike Tour
153 reviews
from US$45.00*
Combo Oak Alley Plantation and New...
3 reviews
from US$99.00*
New Orleans City and Cemetery Bus Tour
17 reviews
from US$45.00*
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

December is usually one of the month's we visit. Weather varies greatly just depending - have worn everything from capris with sandals to boots with leggings. Only one year was it very cold and I think that was in January. We are from Illinois so NO December is typically milder than ours and we enjoy it very much. We love all of the Christmas decorations and there are house tours, concerts and many more activities depending on the specific dates you are there. Think you would enjoy it very much!

Brooklyn, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Thank you. I have often find that during Christmas week, tours or business hours can be suspended, or limited in many places. That is the drawback to holiday travel.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

December is one of our favorite times to visit New Orleans. Some of the hotels offer great deals and the French Quarter is beautifully decorated. Weather can vary from warm to downright chilly. Check the website fqfi.org and click on Christmas New Orleans style tab to see last years Christmas events. It doesn't change much from year to year. This years schedule will probably be published in October.

Brooklyn, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Thank you

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

We have visited for Christmas for the last 3 years and love it. The FQ is full of lights and decorations, with holiday concerts too. Everyone is in the holiday spirit. We have visited the Laura plantation, the Katrina exhibit, and taken a city bus tour all available during Christmas week. The hotel can advise which tours are available and which days. Generally we have found most restaurants/bars to be open EITHER Christmas Day OR Christmas Eve, although some are closed for both days. We haven't been yet but City Park is also open during the holidays and is something still on our wish list... lights, animations, a train through the park. We also have enjoyed the Christmas gospel mass in the Treme at St. Augustine's church. If you are looking for a special dinner, many restaurants have special Revillon (sp?) meals. For those I would book well in advance. We have always just "winged-it" depending on our mood and while not "special" meals, have never had trouble finding choices for a nice dinner. As for the weather, my advice would be to pack and dress in layers. In any single visit, I have worn just a t-shirt with capris and flipflops one day .... the next dressed in woollies..... full Canadian winter stuff. It can be damp and windy or really nice. Bring an umbrella too. Hope this helps.

Karen

Brooklyn, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Thank you so much. The info was very reassuring! Can You share any recommendations for hotel or restaurants?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

As relates to hotels and restaurants, there is such a vast number and variety of quality places, it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing more about your preferences. As relates to hotels, large "full service" or smaller "boutique", in the middle of everything or a bit out of the way, economical or luxurious, modern or more locally traditional, particular essential amenities, close to any particular destination? Most would advise the typical visitor to stay within or very close to the French Quarter. Because of the close proximity of restaurants and shops within much of the French Quarter and Central Business District, some of the larger hotel amenities are not as essential as they would be in other locations.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 17:52
Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

I love New Orleans in December! Great rates in hotels, great restaurant specials, compared to NY, amazing weather!!! Sometimes it'll be 75 in Dec, sometimes 45 but usually Capri pant weather!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the hotel rates. When you book, ask for the Papa Noel rates. I almost forgot one year and was quoted a higher price until I asked. For hotels, I would suggest somewhere in the FQ. Check the hotel reviews for ideas. I find the FQ totally walkable from one end to the other. As for restaurants, there are a ton of posts on this forum. It will mostly depend on what you are looking for.... breakfasts, burgers/sandwiches, take-away, seafood, pasta, dressy or casual..... NOLA has it all.

Karen

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Christmas in New Orleans? Weather?

I happened to stumble across this thread. I am originally from NO and now live in Los Angeles. Can I say that the French Quarter is the most beautiful place to be at Christmas. Not only is the French Quarter beautiful and full of culture but the balconies are draped with white lights and red ribbons. I've eaten at the fancy restaurants and also in kitchens of Cajun family get togethers.... It's all good!!! These are people that aim to please and you are going to feel welcomed in this city. If nothing else, have jazz brunch at the Court of Two Sisters.