We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Plan Feedback

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Plan Feedback

Hey all

I will be coming in town for Memorial Day weekend and want to pack as much as I can into the few short days I am in town. I have been 4 other times but still have not hit all the staples, so am hoping to do mix a few of them in with a couple of the newer stops. Here is what I have planned as of now, though the only one I am truly stuck on is Peche

Saturday lunch - Middendorfs

Saturday dinner - Peche

Sunday dinner - Galatoire's

Monday lunch - Cochon

Monday dinner - Commanders Palace

I will be driving around checking out a few plantations on Sunday during the day so will not be able to squeeze in another meal. Any suggestions/changes anyone has would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

I don't think I could eat at both Cochon and Commander's on the same day. Maybe a sandwich at Cochon Butcher? Do you have a reason to be out by Middendorf's? It is a great place and we always try to eat there when we are out that way, but I wouldn't drive out there just to eat.

Anyway, all are great restaurants (I haven't eaten at Peche yet, but I'm sure it's fantastic), but that is a lot of food!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

Well, my wife is nostolgic about the place, so was hoping to fit it in. But, I suppose maybe I could combo that with the day I am out at the plantations since I will be out of the city by then? Or could just drop it all together - not a must do I suppose.

Good to know your thoughts about CP and Cochon in the same day. Maybe I will swich that around somehow.

Are Galatoire's and CP both "must do's"? Are they a different enough experience that both should be done in one trip?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

A "must-do" is such a subjective thing. I personally wouldn't want to go to more than 1 fine dining restaurant in such a short trip. That would be too much of a good thing for me. I'd want to eat multi - course meals to get the full experience, but my appetite we doesn't support that much eating.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

Peche is the one restaurant we didn't get to that I wanted to on our recent trip. Chef Ryan Prewitt just tied for James Beard Best Chef of the South and the restaurant won the James Beard Best New Restaurant in the US. We went to Commander palace for lunch the service and food were amazing. I can't comment on any of the others.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

What about doing Commander's for lunch? That is what my family always do and it is an 'event' we wouldn't miss. You could then do a late small meal at Cochon or The Butcher, since they are open on Mondays till 10:00. Cochon has great small plates that we like best to order a bunch for the table and share. The Butcher has great sandwiches, small plates and sides - but much more casual than Cochon. I have yet to go to Galatoire's - the list is always bigger than time permits, no matter how long we are there.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

Peche is one of my go to places in NO. I also really like Cochon. The family really likes the small plate thing. I would do CP for lunch. Personally, I do not see the cost/benefit of the CP dinner. That is just me. I know that I am in the minority on that issue.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am liking the idea of CP for lunch, I am going to see if I can switch around some reservations. Then I would only have one "fine dining" place for dinner. I think that is a good call to limit that type of dinner to one a trip.

I also just saw the news on Peche. Awesome! Glad I got my reservation there last week - something tells me it may be a bit tougher to get in on a saturday night for a while....

Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

On the plus side with Commander's Palace for lunch during the week - $0.25 martinis!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

You will be pleased with Peche combo seafood and new Orleans food on their menu.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,552 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Plan Feedback

Whole Grilled Fish @Peche - The holy grail of NOLA dining as far as I'm concerned. crawfish capellini not too shabby either. Two well deserved awards, almost as significant as the inclusion in the coveted EWZ Best Nola Desserts... http://wp.me/p2zSmJ-1fN

The foodie community (I see you posted on Chowhound) prefers Herbsaint (one of my faves) over Cochon, but a solid list overall