We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where not go in new orleans

northumberland
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
where not go in new orleans

I am going to NO in August, and I was wondering which areas we should avoid. I am rather concerned after reading some reviews not to go near N rampant street, I have booked into auld sweet olive b & b which had good reviews I am now concerned that I may have made a mistake. Another area I have read to avoid is bourbon street. Are there any other areas or streets we should avoid? Also any other safety tips would be appreciated.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where not go in new orleans

Avoid Bourbon St?!?!?!? Then why go to NO???? Seriously, yes some parts of N Rampart aren't the best places to be at night, but daytime is ok.

I did check where you're B&B is located, and I would suggest to maybe reserve somewhere else. Not because it's on N Rampart, because it's pretty far from the French Quarter. It doesn't look like it's walkable, that's for sure. Especially if it's your 1st trip, you'll be spending a lot of time in the FQ, so why make it hard by having to look for cabs and not being able to go back and forth as you'd like. If you really wish to stay in a B&B, there are some good ones that are much closer and within walking distance.

And even if you have a car and were planning on driving back and forth, parking is not the easiest thing to do and find in NO, especially around the FQ area. Just food for though.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
540 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where not go in new orleans

I looked on the map to make sure I understood where that was and personally, I would not be comfortable staying there. As a local, that is an area I have been taught to avoid my whole life. Yes, I would drive through it but I would never feel comfortable walking from there to the FQ, even during the day. It is about a mile from there into the FQ so in August, you would have a heat stroke if you tried anyway! Now, it think it could be fine if you plan on taking taxi's into the area you want to go into and back again. Maybe the innkeeper has some suggestions and maybe the best goes that way, but I wouldn't be comfortable with public transportation if the bus does go into that area. It is very sad because you have wonderful families scattered throughout these areas, many of which are trying to rebuild and turns things around but the bottom line is, there is random crime scattered all around there and it can be scary. The other issue is, you are not going to be around the tourist areas, which is good and bad. Good because you are going to be mixed with with the local areas but bad because you will stand out as a tourist and be a target in my opinion. I like to be close to the open businesses and lots of people for safety reasons.

It is really impossible for anyone to tell you what specific streets to avoid because in NOLA, everything is "all mixed up". What may look like a safe, wonderful area, could back up to a very bad area. The locals know how to handle this but it is too difficult for tourist to "get the feel" and learn the area so quickly.

If you can tell me some of the places you want to explore or things you want to do, I can comment on the area better.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where not go in new orleans

Agree with porelly. While this area is undergoing gentrification it is quite a ways from activities, museums, music venues, restaurants that you may wish to participate in. If it is your first visit I would recommend staying in the French Quarter. Like any city precautions should be taken. Rampart st during the day is fine however at nite as a poster who reviewed the place said it can get "sketchy". Bourbon St is not to be avoided. Plenty of good clubs with wonderful music, restaurants, shops. Sure, there are some sleazy joints but most big cities have those. You will probably spend a lot of time in the Quarter exploring so why not stay closer so you can return to your hotel to use the facilities, rest, take a cold shower as it will be very hot and humid in August. Drop off your bags, change clothes and head out again.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where not go in new orleans

Go to Bourbon and enjoy.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where not go in new orleans

Hotel rates in August tend to be lower due to the lack of convention activity and fewer visitors due to the heat and humidity. You can get some great deals on French Quarter hotels.

northumberland
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where not go in new orleans

Thank you all for your replies. This is our first visit to NO and we are from England , so I looked on trip advisor and the accommodation had good reviews so that's why I booked it . We have booked a tour with Cajun swamp tour they will be picking us up in the morning and returning us back to our accommodation. We thought we would take a shower then look at the French Quarter and buy lunch or dinner , then come back for a rest then go on a airboat tour in the evening . where would you suggest we should stay , someone recommended the garden district and to use the trolley bus.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where not go in new orleans

Stay IN the French Quarter. My personal favorite, especially for a 1st timer, is the Place D'Armes Hotel. It's right in the middle of the Quarter, perfect for going back and forth. Other favorites in the FQ are: Chateau Hotel, Provincial hotel, Ste Marie hotel, and the Bourbon Orleans just to name a few. The PDA does have breakfast included. Just a continental breakfast though, certainly not B&B quality, but enough to get you going in the morning.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where not go in new orleans

First of all the Swamp Tour and Airboat Tour are one and the same so you probably don't want to to both. How many days are you staying in New Orleans? As I previously mentioned stay in the French Quarter especially since it is your first visit. Then on your return visits you can branch out.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where not go in new orleans

I would not stay in that area, especially in August. As whitenights said, walking to the Quarter will do you in! Also, I would NOT walk around that area at night. PLEASE stay in the French Quarter. Also check the Villa Convento, where a large group of us plan to stay in October. And don't avoid Bourbon Street. You may love it!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
540 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where not go in new orleans

The great reviews are probably very accurate in regards to the service, friendliness, property, and food but that would not be enough to counteract the inconvenience of the location for me personally. If New Orleans was like NYC, with a subway on every corner to zip you around, that would be different but it's not. Taxis will add up fast and I would rather pay more to be in the FQ area, even the other side of the FQ, in the convention center or CBD area. Also, August will be hot beyond words for someone that has not experienced New Orleans' heat and humidity so you really will not want to walk around any more than necessary. The Garden District is okay but again, you will waste a lot of time getting to and from the main attractions and the streetcars do not have air conditioning. Again, I cannot stress enough just how hot it will feel in New Orleans in August. The heat can zap your energy very quickly.