We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

HI everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their opinions. We are thinking about visiting New Orleans as part of our USA/Canada Honeymoon at the end of the year. The dates above are when we will be in NO.

After reading many threads, The FQ seems like the safest place for us to stay. I'm a little airy fairy so I am going to be extra vigilant while I am there (I'm a small/petite Asian girl). However I am having trouble deciding which hotels are in the 'best' and 'safest' locations within the FQ.

We are on a budget, so anything around $150 USD per night would be preferred. We can do hotels, BNBs/Guest houses... We looked a particular hotel but after my fiance read it was haunted (past guest reviews) he threw his hands up in the air and said "forget that" (actually he used different words hahaha).So places that are not rumoured to be haunted would be great lol..

Thank you for your time and help and suggestions in advance.

Mai

PS. Whats the weather like around then? :)

1. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 07:33
AR
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

To start your research, you might want to go to neworleansonline.com for lists of hotels, restaurants, historic sites, shopping, tours, attractions, coupons and maps of the different neighboghoods. Then you might continue your research by reading through the Top Questions (top right of this page). And finally, type "hotels" (or BnB, etc.) in the search box at the top of this page and review some of the suggestions others have made or questions they have asked. Then choose 3-4 and come back to the forum for comments about each. . After looking at the maps at neworleansonline.com , you might choose hotels that are mid-Quarter, again for convenience....Place d'Arms, Bourbon Orleans, OMNI, etc.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Mia--We have stayed in one of the most haunted hotel at least 10 times and we were never haunted...if that helps! Check out the Villa Convento Hotel. They have great prices and they are in the best (lower) end of the Quarter. Close to everything but far enough away to be able to sleep at night!

A friend has been to Nola several times in December arounf the time you're going and once it was wasm-ish weather and once it was DANG cold! It's going to be luck of the draw. Bring clothes to layer in and you should be good!

Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon! Hope you have a great time!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Many hotels in older New Orleans buildings are said to be haunted; it's considered an attraction. After MANY visits, and conversations with MANY acquaintances staying in many hotels, I've only heard about paranormal experiences from different sources relating to the same one hotel, and it's a Forum favorite. Most of the reported spirits seem to be friendly, and at worst mischievous. Most any location within the French Quarter is considered safe, subject to applying the prudence applicable to most all US urban areas.

Just GLANCING at kayak.com, the following "NewOrleanish" and well located and reputable hotels would be of interest to me (does not include the "haunted" one): Bienville House, Bourbon Orleans, Dauphine Orleans, and Hyatt French Quarter.

Mentioned in this post
Bienville House
Bienville House
1,680 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

"Check out the Villa Convento Hotel"

Might not be a good choice ghost-wise. ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Thank you everyone for their suggestions! Hotel villa convento was the one I liked!! But my fiance didn't want the possibility of waking up and seeing ghosts. I think its more seeing one that would scare us, even If they are not malicious. We are chickens..

I will check out the recommended places and also use the forum search. I wasn't too sure how to use it so thank you :)

Thanks also for the kind wishes re our engagement/wedding.

Mai

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

What do you guys think if Prince Conti Hotel? :) I can get a pretty decent price for their 'deluxe room' if I book via their website (non refundable) but we arent going to change our travel plans so that I believe should be ok.

Place D'Armes is also nice but a little more expensive for a standard room.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Have stayed at Prince Conti twice and enjoyed it both times. It's economical because it doesn't have a pool or courtyard. A pool will be pretty irrelevant in December. The hotel is clean, nicely furnished, and well located and maintained.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 06:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Woohoo. We found the one then. Brilliant. Thank you so much :)

Mai

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visit to NO:Dec 20-23 2014

Hi Mai, I may (or may not) be the friend that Deny was referring to as having been to NO in December several times. My husband and I go to NO in December frequently - it is one of the best times to visit, in my opinion. The weather can be warm, in the 70s, or it can be downright cold. And it can change from day to day. One December, the weather was a beautiful sunny 72 degrees, so we pre-ordered breakfast to be delivered to our room the next morning so we could eat it out on the balcony. The next morning, it was 36 degrees, and it never got much warmer during the day! So just be prepared for warm or cold. You can always buy a sweatshirt at the French Market if necessary.

We stayed at the Prince Conti last October, and it was a nice hotel. Our room was very big and it was very clean. The bathroom was spotless. The hallways of the hotel were also nicely kept. The furniture was a bit dated, and we didn't have a view. I would stay there again but would ask for a room with a view. It is a very nice hotel for the price.

Check the website fqfi.org and click on the "Christmas New Orleans Style" link to get an idea of events occurring at that time of year. It won't give you 2014 events until October or November, but they pretty much stay the same from year to year, so that should give you an idea of what all will be going on. It is a wonderful time of year to visit!