We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pat O,briens rip off

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Pat O,briens rip off

just got back from wonderful N/O if you go to pat o,briens and ask for a beer you will be charged 5/1/ 2 dollars for a 40 cent can of beer, not even a pint , needles to say we only visited this bar once,

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,228 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

Where do you get 40 cent cans of beer in a bar?? Please advise.

$5.50 isn't that much for a beer in many bars. Especially if you go to the piano bar at Pat's, which doesn't even have a cover charge.

There are certainly places in town to get a cheaper beer, I'm sure. If price is the only factor and you want to drink on the cheap, you can buy a six pack at a liquor store and guzzle a few in your hotel room for one option.

Also, the drinks are priced on their menu, easily available on the internet, where I just learned that if I want to turn a $5.50 beer into a $4.25 beer I can choose to drink it in the main bar at Pat's instead of the piano bar.

patobriens.com/patobriens/…drink_menu.asp

Edited: 04 June 2014, 19:29
Colorado
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

Ridiculous post is ridiculous.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

The Hurricane cocktail works out to be $11.50 for 4 oz of rum if you turn in the glass .

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

I can't tell you how many times I have been to Pats and how many drinks I have had there (way too many to even try counting). But I can tell you I have NEVER, EVER been ripped off at Pats!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

I agree Deny - I actually think of Pat's piano bar as being a very inexpensive evening for us! I think that in April a Hurricane was $12 but when you turn the glass in for refund, the Hurricane was $9. I can drink one Hurricane for a very long time, and considering that the entertainment in the piano bar is free, it can be a very cheap, fun evening. One Hurricane for me, two for Gary - $27 plus tip for an eveing of entertainment works for me!

Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

I'm thinking that without a time machine, that 40 cent beer is going to be pretty illusive. Seriously, did you go to any other bars or clubs in New Orleans? I can't imagine the prices being that different from Pat's.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

I do not consider $5.50 for a beer a rip off.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

I agree, that's what we pay here in Canada too and we don't get any awesome entertainment with it. But notice that this person is from the UK where beer is like water there, so I'm assuming it's really cheap.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,594 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

"I do not consider $5.50 for a beer a rip off"

Me neither

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pat O,briens rip off

Message received - however I'd like to say that $5.50 is probably less than the price of a beer at a lot of places. Yes, I can buy beer cheaper than that...I can also buy it much more expensively than that. I know the so-called "3 for 1" beer signs end up being $8.00, but then you do get three bottles for that price.

Did you have some other experience at Pat O'Brien's that you didnt like? Or do you really have some 40 cent source for beers in which case please share that! :)

Mentioned in this post
Pat O'Brien's
Pat O'Brien's
3,391 Reviews
New Orleans, LA