We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Melbourne
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Bit of background- on a month long trip around the US with 6 stops- myself 27 and a friend 32

Day 1

Early flights… always a good idea when planning- not so fun in practice! Was at JFK airport by 530am. Flight was scary as the plane was only about 70 seats, not a fan of those little planes!

Anyway- got to New Orleans around 10am and caught a taxi to our hotel Hilton New Orleans Riverside and as luck would have it they let us check in! After a quick nap to refresh I caught a taxi to Bourbon Street (could have walked but it was windy and cold!) Taxi driver warned me to not go to streets on the left of Bourbon, to only go right, which was interesting? He also said to try not to look like a tourist- but my constant photo taking always betrays me haha

Had lunch at Willie’s fried chicken- yum!! Really good Southern Fried chicken : ) Got my souvenir shopping done, plenty of options that’s for sure haha

We decided to stay close to hotel for dinner as we were a bit tired (apologies if I’m starting off a bit boring, we’d just spent 11 nights in NYC and been go go go) so we went to the buffet at Harrah’s. Food was quite nice, and the server very attentive. Neither of us eat seafood which New Orleans waiters found hilarious, and a man near us was eating crab legs for about 40 minutes straight!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Day 2

Had breakfast at the hotel café then tried to get a hire car- should have booked, it was Easter weekend so a lot were sold out. We managed to get one through Nifty Car Rental who also picked us up. Now usually I’m happy to support local businesses but I was disappointed with Nifty. When you pick up your car, they charge $300 to your credit card. Then they say when you drop it off they refund the difference of what you didn’t use. Not like a hotel where they “hold” the funds, they actually charge them. Upon dropping off the car the next day we were owed $220, and after a month and multiple phone calls I finally got that money back- but after googling them it appears they do this all the time, disappointing.

Back to the fun- this was our first time driving on the right side of the road (wrong to us Aussie’s!) for the trip so it was a bit of entertainment finding our bearings. We drove to the Laura plantation which took about an hour. It was really interesting hearing the stories of the times, and our hearts went out to the people who suffered through it. I came out of it more informed about slavery and relieved that times have changed so much for the better.

We then drove to the Swamp tour. Was great seeing all the alligators as well as raccoons and turtles. It is pretty out there that they feed them marshmallows? I guess because they float, but hopefully they don’t get too much of a sugar high!

Got dinner on the way back- couldn’t tell you exactly where we were, but it was called the Brick oven Café. We also decided to get supplies from the gas station for the room, we picked up a few things then my friend Jess was having issues with her travel card in the ATM so she went out to the car to get another card… with a box of cereal under her arm! Haha luckily no one noticed and she brought it back in and paid phew!

Went back to the hotel and got ready and had a few drinks in the room then headed to Bourbon street (another taxi driver warned us about not going left). Certainly is exactly what you expect- happy people, drinking, beads being thrown, music everywhere it was great atmosphere. Had a footlong hurricane daiquiri and wandered around listening to a few bands. The guys who dance on the street with little cymbals on their feet and hands are amazing!

Day 3

Returned the hire car and then got lunch at Popeye’s- yep more fried chicken! It was delicious! And a lady walked into me by mistake and exclaimed “Lord Jesus I’m sorry!” the people in New Orleans are so polite and friendly, it’s very welcoming : )

We decided to be full blown tourists and we went on a Hollywood movie tour as I’m a movie buff. The guy running the tour was lovely, and it was fascinating to learn the Louisiana had more movies filmed there in the last year than any other state in the USA! It was a great way to check out the city as well because we didn’t have to worry about concentrating on driving. We had a little tv screen in front of each of us and he would take us to the site, then show us a clip from a movie that filmed there. I’ve been on a tour in LA where they just point and say things were filmed there and you have no idea if they’re just making it up- so it was great to actually have the reference right in front of us. By special request he also took us to the cemetery where they filmed Double Jeopardy- which is the movie that first made me interested in visiting New Orleans one day!

Quick dinner then back to the hotel to pack as we had to be up at 4am the next day for a flight.

This leg of the trip was short and sweet- it’s hard when there’s so many places you want to visit, and even though it wasn’t a long time, I’m still really glad I got to have a taste of New Orleans : )

Thank you to everyone who posts on trip advisor- I loved reading trip reports and forum questions and getting ideas!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

So glad you had a good trip! And thanks for taking the time to write a trip report.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Glad you had a good time, and that NO lived up to your expectations. Txs for sharing.

NYC
Level Contributor
123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Great report! I'll be going for my 1st visit in October (from NY); Just curious, the streets to the "left of Bourbon" - are we talking the streets closer to the river or further away?! (ie ...Royal vs Dauphine?) Just curious! Thanks!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

jules, I'm sure the cabbie meant from Dauphine and up going towards North Rampart. The reason they suggest that in the evening/night is because there's not a lot of foot traffic (not too many hotels/ bars, etc).

NYC
Level Contributor
123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Great to know, will keep that in mind - thank you!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Lovely report. I see Nifty Car Rental only got 1.3 stars on Yelp with horrible reviews. Sorry you were subjected to them. Are you blogging your entire trip online? I'd certainly like to read about the other cities you visited.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Thanks everyone, I so enjoyed reading the trip reports before I left so I thought I should do my part :)

Soulcat- I'm working through writing up a report for each leg of our trip- I've posted our 11 night NYC stay on that forum, but the other 4 stops not yet- San Antonio, Vegas, LA, Hawaii

Yes- shame about Nifty- a lot of people like to support local businesses, so they're letting themselves down by what they're doing, and the staff who helped us were lovely, and they're the ones who will suffer

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Great trip report, thanks for sharing! Wow, now I really want to do that Hollywood tour! There's always something new to try, thanks for pointing this tour out, it sounds like something I'd really enjoy!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Nights in New Orleans- Trip report from 2 Aussie girls

Glad you and your friend got to spend some time in New Orleans Jorga and thank you for the trip report! At least you enjoyed yourselves and had a good time along the way!

Hey Jules when will you be in Nola in October?