We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

My husband and I are planning a two week tour in late November of some of the cities in Southern USA and I have been researching posts on several forums on TA.

Having looked at all the comments, I have put a provisional plan together and would be extremely grateful for any assistance with this. (I have also posted this on the Charleston forum)

We enjoy sightseeing but are not overly into art galleries and museums, also like good food (!) and music. The provisional plan is:

Flight UK to Charlotte

Hire car and drive to Asheville (2 nights)

Return to Charlotte and fly to Nashville

Hire car and spend 2 night in Nashville

Drive to Memphis and stay 2 nights

Take flight Memphis to New Orleans

Stay 3 nights New Orleans

Take flight to Jacksonville

Hire car and drive to Savannah (2 night)

Drive to Charleston (3 nights)

Drive to Charlotte for flight back to UK

Thank you very much for your help

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

|I can only comment on the Me Memphis to New Orleans part of your trip. 2 nights/3 days in Memphis is just perfect in my opinion. I'm assuming you'll be going to Graceland, which is basically a day. Beale St is sort of a mini version of Bourbon St, so it'll give you a taste for NO.

I suggest staying downtown in Memphis, and in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Especially in NO, you'll be spending most of your time there, and it just makes it so much easier to go back and forth to drop of purchases, freshen up, etc.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

I am instantly jealous! I can't speak to all of your trip, but we've just come back from our first trip to New Orleans and we also did Charleston and Savannah with a rental car on the same trip a few years ago. You will see lots of charming cities and get a good dose of Southern hospitality. I highly recommend just about everything in my recent NOLA trip report. Check it out for all the details.

For Savannah, check out Savannah Dan's walking tour, which will give you lots of good information on the city. I also suggest reading the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you visit. Vic's on the River was our favorite restaurant.

In Charleston, definitely take a carriage ride early on to get a lay of the land. There are so many amazing restaurants in town. S.N.O.B. is a family favorite and definitely worth a visit.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

This looks like a nice itinerary. With one exception, (Memphis), you have selected some of my favorite cities in the country to visit. Spending two nights in several of the cities along with the driving in between, may leave you with little time to get to know the cities. I have spent many days in Memphis, and unless you have interest in impressive museums dedicated to the civil rights and music culture, and a little pseudo French Quarter wannabe (Beale Street), I'd be inclined to skip Memphis, and add a day here and there to these other impressive cities - especially to my favorite, New Orleans.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

My husband and I travel through Memphis on our way to New Orleans. Up until the past few years, we were in such a hurry to get to NO that we totally ignored Memphis. The past few years (since we retired!) we don't have to rush so much, and now we stop in Memphis on the way to NO, and again on the way back, and have found out that we love it! I agree with porelly, stay downtown in Memphis! We have stayed at the Sleep Inn at Court Square several times, and it is a very nice hotel, and you literally walk 10 feet out the door to the trolley, which will take you to Beale Street (and bring you back after you have enjoyed Beale Street).

Beale Street does not compare with Bourbon Street, but there is some good music there, and some great barbeque and ribs. We enjoyed visiting the Civil Rights Museum, Graceland, Mud Island, etc.

You might want to ask more Memphis questions on the Memphis forum. Their expert, Deb, is a wealth of helpful information!

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

Thank you all for taking the time to be so helpful. I am just wondering whether to skip Memphis? The reason for going is really to do the tourist thing and visit Graceland. I am not sure whether to skip Asheville and add time to NO? I don't know whether anyone has any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

My cousin and her boyfriend are doing a road trip starting next week, with stops in New Oreleans, Nashville, and Asheville for the Biltmore. I'll let you know what she thinks when she gets back. I haven't done Asheville, but I know my six nights in NOLA wasn't enough!

7. Re: Tour of Charleston, NO and Memphis etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:16