We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Thanks for all the good advice I found on the boards. I started reading and asking questions several months ahead, as I enjoy planning, and I feel it definetly payed off. I was lucky enough to get to go two times - here are some of the combined highlights.

Hotel Marais, FQ: Loved this boutique hotel. I will post under the hotel section for those interested.

Favorite activities: Walking the FQ & Garden District. Hurricane Katrina exhibit at Presbytere is a must see.

Dinning & Bars

Mr. B's for lunch: &1.50 drink specials, famous BBQ shrimp and Gumbo, all great. I like the atmosphere and service here.

Cochon Butcher: Muffuletta, marinated brussels sprouts, Mac'n'Cheese. All excellent! I did miss the more traditional olive salad on the muffuletta, but the quality of the meat is unsurpassed.

Drago's: Charbroiled oysters for my husband, who decided he prefers raw oysters.

Muriel's: Good choice for lunch specials

Sobou: Modern space, hip atmosphere, excellent bartender. Stopped for drinks and ended up ordering gumbo of the day (duck & chicken with scoop of potato salad on top). My favorite gumbo so far.

Kingfish: Open airy space, excellent drinks with cracklin' (seasoned pork, duck & chicken cracklings).

Carousel Bar at Hotel Monteleone: Great Pimm's Cup, fun stop.

Cafe Beignet: For beignets, I vote for Cafe du Monde. Much thicker and heavier dough at Cafe Beignet.

Commander's Palace: All the good reviews of lunch are true. 25 cent Martini's aside, a delightful experience. The weather was perfect, so sat outside. Many lunch choices, including prix fixe menu. Biscuits with strawberry shortcake were amazing. All the food was excellent. However, what I most remember is the superb service. You felt like they wanted to take care of your every wish. When asked if we could take our time, were told no problem. i think we stayed for two hours. It goes on my list of most enjoyable experiences for lunch anyplace in my travels.

Luke's Happy Hour: 3-6 PM, 50 cent oysters, special pricing cocktails, beer & wine. I made a 3 o'clock reservation. Place was empty at 3, so changed to bar. 15 minutes later, bar and tables were full. Bartenders and shuckers were very professional and friendly. I mentioned that I'd like to try a Sazerac, but might not like whiskey. The bartender actually offered to make one for me, and if I didn't like it, she'd make something else - I was amassed!

Then I found out that the daily express menu is available until 4 PM ($17 with cup of soup). I ordered slow roasted pork, green onion sausage, andouille corn muffin jambalaya. Great, flavorful, and good portion. The matzo ball chicken soup was a wonderful surprise - untraditional, a little spice, nice pieces of roasted chicken, with highly seasoned matzo ball.

The entire experience was pleasant and a nice bargain.

French 75: Saved this for our last night cocktail. Small, intimate, sophisticated, old club style, smoky, dark and atmospheric bar, with most attentive service. It would not be a regular for me due to the smoke, including cigar smoke. For one drink, I loved it.

Ask any question.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Thank you travelottie for your TR. Sounds like you had a great time and covered a lot of territory.

So glad you liked the Hotel Le Marais. We are staying there over Halloween for our second time. We like the location, staff and MOST comfortable beds.You experienced some of our favorite eats and thankfully some on our never been, but to do list (some for years). We love both the Carousel Bar and French 75. Marvin and Chris are great bartenders.

Eagle Pass, Texas
Level Contributor
183 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Thanks we are headed there in a few weeks. I was just going to wing it, but now you at least gave me a starting point. Great post and looks like you had a great time. Thanks for posting

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Ok, I absolutely must go to the Monteleone bar on the next trip to try their Pimm's Cup. It seems to be getting a love of rave reviews recently, and I love the Pimm's!!!!

Sounds like a yummy trip! Txs for sharing.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

"Kingfish: Open airy space, excellent drinks with cracklin' (seasoned pork, duck & chicken cracklings)."

Ohhhh, this caught my interest. Can you tell me more? :) Any pictures?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

I have no pictures. It is not a typical FQ cramped, old and somewhat dark space. Those are good too! However, this is more modern looking space. I remember big windows/doors open to the outside in the good weather.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Very nice TR glad you had a good time in NOLA.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

I couldn't agree more with your trip selections and know you had a great time.

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Hi travelottie124, I meant the drinks :) I have never had a cocktail with a cracklin garnish.

I have a flip through TA's KingFish pictures and found a drink menu but too small to read.

I was just curious how this beverage was put together - I might have to stop by their bar and see for myself.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

Sorry, I guess I was not clear about this.

The cracklin' is a food/appetizer, listed under Lil' Eats, that we had with drinks - not a garnish.

http://www.cocktailbarneworleans.com/savour

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NOLA Trip Report 4 & 6/2014

ahhh! doh, thank you!