We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eat - Nola

Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Eat - Nola

I live in Baton Rouge so I'm pretty familiiary with Nola, especially the FQ area. That being said, I usually stick to the main/busy part of the FQ and don't really venture in to the residential area. However, I would like to make dinner reservations at Eat for a Friday night while we are there. I have personally never felt unsafe in New Orleans and always use caution, but since Eat is closer to the area where it can be a little less touristy, I was wondering from a local's perspective or opinion:

1) Is the safest route to and from Eat for three younger ladies to walk down Bourbon and take a turn at Lafitte's to Eat?

2) Would you suggest walking back after dinner (dark) as long as we stick to the busier streets, like Bourbon?

Thanks!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eat - Nola

Although still not perfect, the Rampart side of the French Quarter has become much more "tame" over the last several years. In any event, on a Friday before 10 PM, either Bourbon St. or Dauphine St., on the Canal St. side of St. Phillip St., should be just fine.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eat - Nola

What happens after 10 on those streets?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eat - Nola

Actually, I would find those streets to be safe quite a bit after 10 PM, subject to the prudence generally applicable to most US urban areas. But the somewhat quiet parts of the City become even quieter after 10-11 PM when the restaurants and other non-bar businesses close and clear out. These are not "bad" areas. It's just good to avoid being in an unfamiliar place outside of the view and hearing of a number of other folks.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eat - Nola

danie, by way of further explanation, TravelChick was referring to the edge of the quieter more residential portion of the French Quarter. Several blocks towards Canal St. from that area, people are out and about pretty much 24/7.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:39
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eat - Nola

Turn off Bourbon at Lafitte's in Exile at the corner of Bourbon and Dumaine then it is just one short block to Eat at the corner of Dauphine and Dumaine Sts. Very well lit. That area of Bourbon St on a Friday nite is very busy what with the Clover Grill, Lafittes in Exile and NOLA PoBoys right there. Very safe using the usual precautions.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eat - Nola

If you get to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop you have gone a block too far. Do not confuse the two.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eat - Nola

I'm not sure EAT takes reservations. If they do, though, it's a great idea since it's a smallish place. I like it a lot.

8. Re: Eat - Nola

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16