We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

Hey all,

My best friend and myself are taking a trip to Nola, 7/24-7/29. We have never been but we love the history of the place and how exciting we've heard it is. We are mid twenties and we know there is so much to do, but id like some key advice on what to do, where to specially not go (I've heard some not well stories) and what to go to that's not obvious like Jackson Square. We are going to hit the Majors I've seen on trip advisors but maybe other travels can help us out or suggest some great things. We are staying at an amazing B&B in the garden district so were excited for all of this.

Thanks a bunch!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

You are going to miss a wonderful free music Fest Satchmofest at the US Mint July 31 to Aug 3. Fqfi.org.

That being said For first time visitors I would stay in the French Quarter. Late July will be very hot and humid and many activities you will partake in will be in the Quarter and it is beneficial to be close to your living quarters so you can use the facilities, cool off, change clothes etc.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

What are you the most interested in? Music? Food? Art? History? Drinking?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

If you enjoy history check out the Pharmacy Museum at 514 Chartres St. The downside is they're only open Tues-Friday from 10-2 and some Saturdays from 10-5 (phone call recommended) I love it because you can learn a great deal about New Orleans history through medicine and the various epidemics the city has lived though. Also cool because you can take pictures and it's a great building with a beautiful courtyard out back. They do guided tours Thurs and Fri at noon. I was there once during the guided tour and was very impressed with what I overheard, but I've personally only taken the self guided tour (they have great guidebooks at the front desk).

The Old Ursuline Convent at 1112 Chartres St. will also tell you a lot about the history of New Orleans. http://www.stlouiscathedral.org/convent.html

Self guided tours for either are $5

If you walked from one to the other down Chartres St. you would walk right past Jackson Sq with the St. Louis Cathedral, the Calbildo and the Presbytere (great Katrina exhibit) and you could stop for lunch and/or a drink at Muriel's. Be sure to check out their balcony overlooking Jackson Square. One of the best places in New Orleans to enjoy a drink.

Since you're staying in the Garden District I'd be silly not to suggest a meal at Commander's palace. The 25 cent martini lunches (limit 3, food required) should entice you. Apparently they also have copies of a self guided walking tour of the Garden District if you ask. Lafayette Cemetery No.1 is right across the street on Washington. Super great bookstore about a block up Washington toward St. Charles in a complex referred to as The Rink.

I love walking in the Garden district in the early evening hours. It's so tranquil with people riding bikes and walking dogs, etc.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

Thank you so much for all that info. We really just love anything interesting. I'm sure the food down there is to die for, the big museums we could live without but just trying to have a great time in our short trip and do as much as we can.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

Danie, I'm planning a girl's weekend for two of my friends who will be visiting me that same weekend! Although I'm a local, I still like to explore and play tourist in Nola too because it's such a wonderful city and there is always something new to learn. This is a rough outline of what we'll be doing on their three days here. When I say walking the quarter, it's because there is SO much to see and do and sometimes it's fun to just pop in and out of places, especially on Chartres and Royal. The French Market is for sure a must, and I highly recommend a daiquiri from Organic Banana while you browse :) Free Tours by Foot have several options that I've used for out of town guests and every tour I've booked through them has been wonderful. I also recommend making reservations if you plan on eating at some of the more popular restaurants, especially on the weekend (including brunch). Hope this helps!

Thursday, July 24:

Check into hotel – Hotel Monteleone

Lunch – Acme Oyster House/Felix’s Oyster Bar (depending on line to Acme)

Cocktail/Scandal Tour – 5:00PM

Dinner – Drago’s Seafood Restaurant - Personal favorite chargrilled oysters in Nola!

BOURBON! – Fish Bowls – Fais Deaux Deaux

Friday, July 25:

Lunch – Erin Rose/Daisy Dukes/Something similar

Free Time (Walk the Quarter, shop, pool, etc)

Drink – Carousel Bar/Touche Bar before dinner

Dinner – Sobou – 8:00PM

Saturday, July 26: Garden District

Streetcar to Garden District – Walk Magazine Street

Lunch – The Rum House

Free Tours by Foot – Garden District Tour – 1:30PM

Dinner – Emeril’s Nola – 8:00PM

Sunday, July 27:

Farewell Brunch – Café Amelie – 11:00AM

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

Alicia,

Thank you so so much. Very helpful. That's a great itinerary. That's so funny that it's the same weekend. I hope you gals have fun! Maybe we'll run into each other. It must be amazing living in that city. So beautiful. I am excited to come down.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

There is really nowhere quite like it :) No problem for the tips, if you have any other questions, this forum is of course the best choice! Have fun on your trip too and maybe we will see each other! If you decide to do any of the things I listed, def let me know :)

8. Re: Help, upcoming trip 7/24-7-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16