We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of August - too hot for...

Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
End of August - too hot for...

Is it crazy to think of a bike tour or a swamp tour the last week in August? Really want to do both of these things but will it simply be too hot to enjoy them?

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
FreeWheelin' Bike Tours
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of August - too hot for...

Yes, it's going to be ridiculously, crazy hot, but I've done both in the heat if the summer before!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of August - too hot for...

Well, maybe, but maybe not. If they use an airboat, the wind will cool one off a bit. OTOH, August can be still, muggy and very hot. It just depends.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of August - too hot for...

If you're coming from cooler climates, you may want to acclimate for a few days before you spend any significant time outdoors. Spending time around a hotel pool where you can get wet or seek indoor refuge is a good start. If you can't stand the heat...there is plenty of good air conditioning in NOLA bars, restaurants and shops.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of August - too hot for...

I'd probably risk the swamp tour. Even on a pontoon, at least it's covered so it's in the shade! As for biking...well, you'd never find me on a bike and even LESS on a bike in August in NOLA!!! Good luck with both if you do them!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of August - too hot for...

I find biking much cooler than walking in this weather. You've got a breeze. If you do it, remember to wear a cap and put on lots of sunblock.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of August - too hot for...

Many avenues in New Orleans have tree canopies and the bike tours use the streets a lot, particularly Esplanade. I ride my bike throughout the summer. Yes, it's hot but it's doable.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of August - too hot for...

Do your swamp tour at night. The flok did that 2 years ago and it was great!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: End of August - too hot for...

apparently, poole, they now do night tours without a "minimum" number of people required....I heard that but haven't checked it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
703 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of August - too hot for...

My experience is that once deep into the swamp, it was very comfortable and mosquito free. Getting there might be hot but once youre in it its actually very nice.

10. Re: End of August - too hot for...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:17