We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well it looks like i am solo!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Well it looks like i am solo!

My plan to have my boyfriend meet me in NOLA after my conference fell through because he went and got a job in Honduras building houses! :( Told him he better sent me a plane ticket in no more than 3 months!

So I am travelling solo for the first time. I am not concerned about safety or getting around but a little bit worried I will be sad and lonely without him with me. So are there any meet ups or anyone around that would want to hang out, take me under there wing sometime between Sept 24-29

I am staying at Villa Convento and a little bit concerned that I might get a haunted room and have to sleep with the lights on all night. But hopefully I will more be "passing out" and it wont be an issue. haha

My plans include lots of good food and drinks, Ninth Ward bike tour, Preservation Hall and *maybe* a swamp tour. I will decide when I get there. And other than that I just like to wander and window shop and people watch and take it all in. I know I wont get bored, but maybe just a little lonely.

Ivy

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Ivy talk to Triskell at the front desk at the Hotel. Hard to miss, purple hair, awesome outlook on life. She will answer any question you have to make your visit a memorable one. I've done Nola alone countless times and often it's better.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Ivy--The ladies at the desk at The Convento are fablous and very sweet and friendly! I'm sure one of them will go out for a drink with you so you won't have to be so lonley! The Rodent (with the beautiful purple hair) is a great conversationalist too. You will feel like you have friends! I am proud to call her my friend!

Edited: 06 August 2014, 01:12
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Yes, I will definitely get to know the ladies at the hotel. Triskell is going to book my tours for me too. I know I will be fine and hope to make some new friends too. I am still very very excited.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Ivy, not just myself but *everyone* at the VC will be happy to help you. We're a friendly bunch, and that includes the ghost. :) We'll look into your itinerary with you, help you with tours, recommend places to go for food, drink and entertainment. You'll also find out, like so many people on this board have done, that New Orleans is a very easy place to make friends and have very interesting conversations with strangers - in the bars, in clubs, in the street.

Before I moved here, out of all my trips here as a tourist, the best one was one that I took on my own. I never felt lonely!!!

A week or so before your visit, how about posting a thread and suggesting a meetup? Maybe there will be more posters visiting just at that time?

And congratulations to your boyfriend on his new job - building houses in Honduras? Wow, that's great. :)

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Just gonna miss you. We arrive the 30th.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

You'll have so much to do, there won't be time to get lonely. Congratulations to your boyfriend on his new job!

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Thanks guys you are making me feel a lot better and even more excited. I will pass along congrats although I am still not sold on the idea. :p We already do the long distance thing but its only a 3 hour drive every 2 weeks. We aren't sure now how often we will see each other, But I know there are couples everywhere out there especially those serving our countries that do all the time and manage. So I am trying to look at the positives like when I get to go stay with him on their beautiful little island of Roatan. Already been lurking on that forum.

Anyways, back to NOLA. I will definitely post a meet and greet closer to the date. And will continue my planning and asking questions. I already have a crazy restaurant list and a reservation for 2 at Commander's Palace Sept 25 at 12:30pm if anyone out there would care to join me.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

I think NOLA is one of the most solo friendly places I have been. I have been there alone several times, although there were always people I knew around. Definitely touch base with Rodent, she is wonderful. No one bats an eye when a solo, woman or man comes into a bar or restaurant alone. Locals and tourists are friendly in NOLA. I predict you will have a blast.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

This November will be my third solo trip (I'm male). I have always had a great time. People are generally so happy just to be in New Orleans that they open up to everybody. You can't help relaxing totally. You would be surprised how easy it is to strike up friendly conversations with perfect strangers. And the local folks are mostly very friendly and helpful. But that's why we all love New Orleans, and keep going back...and back...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Well it looks like i am solo!

Ivy.... when you finally get to Roatan it will all be worth it. :) You'll love it. I've only spent a short while there, but fell absolutely in love - it's the only place we've ever came home from and started looking at condo prices.