We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
La Pine, Oregon
Level Contributor
428 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

We leave Thursday for Nola...I know I can just arrive and hail a cab but is there anyone you know that you can rec? Henry lee can't take us into French Quarter because we arrive at 9:30 Pm.....anybody? I feel better on rec. than nuttin! thanks, cherry

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,632 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

Really, it's not an issue. The taxis at the airport are regulated and there is an attendant to point you to the next one, including writing down the cab number you're taking on a skip of paper and handing it to you in case you leave something behind or have some kind of an issue. It's a flat rate to/from the airport so no real chance for long hauling.

You could arrange a town car with someplace like A Regal Limo, but it would be at double the price of a cab.

I wouldn't worry about it, personally. Thousands of people arrive at MSY every day and are delivered safely to their hotels or other destinations. .

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

I have to agree with Irishfan. When I finally can get my butt off that plane in NO, I want to get to the Quarter ASAP!!!!! I don't care who drives me, as long as we get there as quickly as possible, but still in 1 piece. A cab is a cab is a cab. I do recommend that you do make a note of the taxi# that you do take cause on my last trip, going to the airport for the trip home, the taxi driver tried to rip me off saying there was no flat rate fare "to" the airport. I told her I'd been to NO many times before, I wasn't no 1st timer, and I know how the pricing works.

I'll always remember my 1st trip to NO, arriving at the airport around 8:30pm, so it was dark out. I thought I was going to have a heart attack and/or at least puke on the drive to the FQ. 5 lanes of traffic, going from one to the other to the 3rd, no signal light 1/2 the time, going 80 miles an hour! OMG!!!! But man, was it worth it! Now, I'm used to it and actually enjoy it cause I know I'm getting "home" even quicker.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,632 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

Lol - Porelly, you're going to scare the heck out of the OP! :)

I've never had a trip like that in 30+ trips to the city, but if I did I would be speaking up and demanding they slow down, they wouldn't get a penny of a tip, and I'd probably look into the process for filing a complaint with the taxi bureau!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

LOL! Yeah, guess I shouldn't be so "honest". But you have to remember that I'm coming from a city that would be considered a town for most US folks. Not used to that. Granted, the price is fixed so doesn't matter how long it takes to get to your destination but I'm an impatient girl, I wanna get there NOW!!!! :)

La Pine, Oregon
Level Contributor
428 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

80 u say??? I come from a one stop light town so that could be a bit exciting! hmmmmmmmm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

The best cabbie we ever had was one that drove like one of those car video games. He smoked it all the way to the Quarter and he drove like a pro race car driver. He was awesome and fast!

Honestly I'm with Porelly on this one. The next cab in the cab line works perfectly for me! Just get me to the Quarter is record time. That's all I want!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

I agree with all of the above, from Irish's opening line that it's "not an issue" all the way down to "just get me to the Quarter in record time".

Oceanside,Ca
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

Yeah, there're all the same and safe. I wouldn't worry at whatever hour you arrive.

On a trip to the airport I once had a cab driver who was 87! He was a little shaky keeping in his own lane but he got us there. I remember him complaining that his 60 something year old daughter wanted air conditioning

:).

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

It was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride to the airport....Mr. T's van included (on the front seats' floorboard) Prestone Anti-Freeze, a Wilson NFL official-sized football in its unopened package, blue duct tape, some license plates, a Louisiana Commercial Driving Course manual, some white bar towels, a full-face silver mask dangling from the rear view mirror, and us in the middle row seats. We passed everybody on the freeway, and the front passenger seat's window was wide open. Since it added to the effect of the ride, I didn't say anything to Mr. Toad (nor did DH). He probably wouldn't have heard us anyway since he carried on a low cell phone conversation (I don't think it was cab related, either) all the way from Canal to MSY.

This is an excerpt from one of my trip reports. Even though it's to the airport from The Quarter sadly departing, the message is the same. Some cab rides add a lot of color to the trip :).

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't get picked up by Henry Lee

Henry Lee picked us up to take us to the airport this morning. He said he really appreciates all the calls from Trip Advisor folks.