We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

I will be attending a conference in New Orleans from Sept 3-6 2014. We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel. My sister is coming along but will not be attending any of the conferences. They are scheduled from 8:15-4:15p. Do you have any suggestions for her to do during the day and for both of us to do in the evening. After attending lectures all day, I doubt I will be up to doing much but she can usually talk me into going somewhere. She is a foodie so would like suggestions on good places to eat. We are also thinking of leaving Monday night so we will be free to tour, etc on Sunday. TIA.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

GGRRRR, my computer freaked and my reply gone! As I previously said, things to do during the day: swamp tour, plantation tour, city tour (unfortunately, I don't think I ever seen any that run in the evening so you could join her), cemetery tour (there are cemetery/haunted tours that go on during the evening if you are both interested), shopping the Farmer's Market, just walking around and enjoying the scenery, music, and people watching (both available day and night), etc. Soooo many things for your sister to do, you'll probably end up being jealous of her. :) Don't try to over plan your stay though, especially you since you only have evenings available. The French Quarter is one big people watching scene: street music, street art, street food, street smells, great music just from the street, never mind from the bars, etc.....

As for good places to eat, Muriel's in Jackson Square has excellent food and service, Mr. B's is also a good choice (lunch is much cheaper than supper, and practically the same menu), Antoine's and of course Commander's Palace in the Garden District ( the biggest of all yummy bullies). Never heard a bad review, but reservations and dress code required.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

Thanks for your reply. My sister is independent so once I give her your ideas-she will be good to go.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

I should mention that I usually travel solo, so all these ideas have a single gal's point of view. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

We were just in the same situation. My friend had conferences/workshops during the day and I was the free bird. I enjoyed the Civil War Museum and people on here seem to rave about the WWII museum. There are many nice art galleries in that area also. And we stopped by the glassworks to look at blown glass. It's fun just to ride the streetcar thru the Garden District. We went to Commander's Palace, Chochon and Herb Saint for nice food. The list is endless.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 00:18
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

Thank You. I am sure my sis will find plenty to do and see. The Commanders Palace -the name keeps popping up a lot with good reviews-hopefully we can get to eat there. Just curious-did you have a rental car? Parking is very expensive but was thinking that on Sunday we can take a ride outside of the quarter.

AZ
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

I am in the same boat later this week. I am bringing my hubs thinking that we will at least have evenings but then I found out that the conference actually goes till 8 the first night and 9 the second night. The second night is a meeting/jazz cruise so I am hoping to be able to buy hubby a tic. We were able to extend our stay by one night so we will have from noon on Friday until Sat at 5 when we need to be at the airport. I am anticipating lots of rushing around trying to fit everything in and honestly any time in NO is better than none!

We have tix for the 10 pm Pres. Hall show on the first night there and then he will be doing a swamp tour, ect...with an emphasis on the ect...i am sure he will have a great time wandering around without me :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

We didn't have a car. We used streetcars and taxis...and walked some. We took a tour bus to Laura Plantation...and it WAS fun and nice to get out of the city.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

Did anyone mention New Orleans School of Cooking? This is a great activity for a foodie traveling solo...

9. Re: 3 day conference in NOLA-need ideas on things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16