We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress for this coming weekend....

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, California
8 posts
Save Topic
Dress for this coming weekend....

My wife and I are leaving for NOLA tomorrow morning, and according to weather.com its going to be very warm, and wet this weekend. Anyways...we're from Southern California, and generally wear t-shirts, shorts and sandals when out and about. I was wondering if this type of dress will be a problem when grabbing dinner, and what not.

We do have reservations at Commander's Palace on Friday, and I know I'll have to dress well for that, but we don't plan on going to that nice of a restaurant for any other meal....though we don't want to eat fast food the whole time.

Thanks for any replies you all offer....

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

Polo Shirt, nice pair of jeans or khakis will get you into 90% of restaurants without a problem. Most of the time I wear shorts, t-shirt and boat shoes and have wonderful food eg at Coop's, Turtle Bay, MRB, NOLA PoBoy, Napoleon House, Chartres House Restaurant, Royal House Oyster Bar, Felix's Oyster Bar, Acme Oyster House to name a few. Most places in August are hurting for business so they will welcome you.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
905 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

<<though we don't want to eat fast food the whole time.>>

That is one of the wonderful things about NOLA - no one needs to do fast food, unless they absolutely want to.

I agree that slacks and a Polo would be fine in nearly every restaurant in NOLA. One might want a jacket, if dining at Commander's, Galatoire's, Restaurant August, but that would be more to be dressed as most of the gentlemen will be. IIRC, even the venerable Galatoire's has relaxed the "gentlemen should wear jackets," as Antoine's did many years ago.

Now, NOLA does have plenty of more casual restaurants, with excellent food, where nice shorts and a collared shirt (even if knit) would be just fine.

Enjoy, and if you even get near a fast food outlet, someone from this board will hunt you down... [LOL]

Hunt

Anaheim, California
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I'll have to throw a couple of collars in my stuff. I'll try and force myself out of a t here and there if I must. I imagine we'll be going to more casual types of places so I think I'll be good. Thanks for the recs on the more casual good grub!

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

I have to confirm Bill Hunt's post.

There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER why anyone would want or need to eat "fast food" in New Orleans.

There are so many places to eat (even on a budget) that offer food that is vastly superior to anything the fast food outlets can supply.

One of the charms of New Orleans is that it is a very affordable city; you have lodgings and restaurants for just about any budget, from 5 star to whatever you can afford.

Anaheim, California
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

I think I might have misused fast food. I don't plan on that at all, I just want to be comfortable throughout both in temperature as well as with my attire. I generally hate wearing a collar and was hoping to eat good/great food (not fine dining) in as comfortable of clothes as possible ( t-shirt/shorts/sandals). I'm also not one to worry about what others are wearing. Not saying I'm gonna dress like I'm hanging in a backyard at Commanders, but I certainly won't feel weird if other men have out dressed me in a casual environment.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 01:33
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,276 posts
905 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

Ryan,

You have just scored bonus points in my book. The "fast food" line had me worried, and I mean REALLY worried. Now, I feel much better.

Now, regarding attire: I now live in Phoenix, AZ, and know heat. I wear cargo shorts and Hawaiian print shirts about 14 hours per day. However, I grew up in the Deep South, several generations ago, so understand a certain level of formality. I still bring my blazer to NOLA, to Hawai`i and to other warmer climes. I don that, when dining at many (most?) fine-dining restaurants, regardless of the danged heat. That is just how I do it, though do not advocate it to those, faint of heart, or subject to heat prostration.

Because of my upbringing, I am a bit more formal, than most. Back when I was a kid, many of the "grande dame" restaurants required ALL gentlemen to wear a coat AND a tie. At about 8, I had forgotten my tie, and the staff at Antoine's provided me with a paper tie. I had to walk through the main dining room, wearing a paper tie - I mean a PAPER tie. Every diner stopped, turned and stared at me, and my paper tie. That was the very, very last time that I have ever been under-dressed - anywhere!

Back when, on opening night for the theater, the ballet or the opera, we wore semi-formal (what most would call "black-tie"), and I assumed that was how it was elsewhere. When we moved to Denver, and attended the opening of Opera Colorado, I was in my tux - when many were in cargo shorts, and rag wool socks with their sandals! I mean, who knew?

Collars will get you almost anywhere in New Orleans. While there ARE some more formal restaurants, they are falling by the wayside. However, regardless of what sort of "dress code" one might have, I try to warn a traveler that they might encounter many gentlemen, who will be dressed in suits, sports coats, blazers, and similar, only so that they know, and will not be blindsided, when they arrive.

Enjoy!

Hunt

Anaheim, California
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

I appreciate the advice Hunt. I come from a very different background...being in my early 30's and raised in Orange County, I haven't really ever had to dress up much at all. I'm not a fine diner, and don't spend much time in any upscale environment. I know how to dress the part when needed....just really isn't in my nature to put myself in that spot terribly often. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.

-Ryan

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

Hunt, I really enjoy reading your posts, which I've been doing for several days now. As someone who grew up in the South (with families from Birmingham, AL, and southwest VA), I can relate to your upbringing. Your post above had me smiling and shaking my head (that paper tie part made me feel a little bit sorry for your eight year old self).

My hubby will have boat shoes, dress shorts, khakis, collared shirts (button down and polo), and a lightweight blazer for our trip (our first) to NOLA as we want to eat in all sorts of restaurants.

In addition to reading lots here on TA, I've been going to different restaurant websites, and attire comments and photos are leading me to pack a variety of clothing options. Besides the range of requirements, there's the weather to consider, so I want to be prepared.

Thanks for the great posts! :-)

9. Re: Dress for this coming weekend....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16