We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

Hello everyone,

We're from Chicago and will be celebrating my girlfriend's golden birthday in NOLA sept 25-29 with sept 27 as the big day. It will be my first time in NOLA so I have no idea what's good or not. We also have a group of 12+ that may want to roll with the group or go off on their own.

She's been to NOLA but i'm trying to impress so I need your help. :-) She's also a foodie and enjoyed Top Chef when it was in New Orleans. Budget wise, I'd like to stay in the $$ - $$$ as we consider the group.

Looking to find:

1. Must-dos/essentials to see & do in NOLA

2. best restaurants for groups - thinking group dinners over the weekend

3. best activities for groups or best way to approach group activities in NOLA

4. BONUS: things that revolve around gold as we celebrate a golden birthday

Appreciate your feedback and help!

jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

If you have a group of 16 or more, I suggest you have a party one night at the Rock N Bowl in Midtown. For a very reasonable price, you get 2+ hours of bowling, food, drink, and best of all a great band with the biggest dance floor in New Orleans. They have really good food to boot! Check out their web-site for parties and focus in on Thursday night if possible since that is Zydeco night and my favorite. This is one of those places that if you have never been there....you have to go there! Mostly locals and my favorite place to visit in the city. Reserve asap if you are interested....the lanes go quickly on reservations. This is what I would love to do on all of my remaining birthdays. If your girlfriend likes to dance, you would be a hero!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 17:52
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

When dealing with groups in New Orleans, it's best to come up with times and places to meet, as opposed to trying to walk in a group. There are so many things of interest and distractions, any large group will move like a glacier making everyone very restless.

The are many dining options. Where are you and the rest of the group lodging?

I like Red Fish Grill for groups of 10 to 20. It well represents New Orleans food without being overly adventurous, is moderately priced considering its somewhat upscale menu and very accessible location, welcomes and makes reservations for this size group in the main dining room, and is a kind of boisterous, hustle and bustle place not disturbed by larger groups of celebrating friends.

There are many potential activities depending on the particular interests of your group.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

If she enjoyed Top Chef New Orleans, I'd suggest La Petite Grocery--we had a great meal there! The chef was one of the contestants…

12 is a big group for lots of New Orleans venues. Redfish Grill and NOLA in the French Quarter can usually do a big group (with a reservation). You could book a class at New Orleans School of Cooking--very fun and a good lunch.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

Second the demonstration classes at the New Orleans School of Cooking. It's like watching the taping of a Food Network show, both entertaining and informative. You get to eat the food; it serves as a meal and comes with complimentary beer and other beverages.

Hanging out in Pat O'Brien's courtyard makes for a great couple of hours during the afternoon.

There are many types of tours catering to most any interest.

Lunch at Cafe Amelie is very popular with the ladies. Lunch or brunch at the very upscale but not stuffy Commander's Palace is a special treat that does not break the bank, particularly on a weekdays (2-course lunches starting at $16 and 25¢ martinis). If watching cost, consider having your main meals for lunch or brunch.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

@Loopwhole we're staying on St. Charles Avenue, closer to the street cars so we can use that as a form of transport

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,790 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

Where on St. Charles Ave. (long street)? Although this is some distance from many of the most popular attractions (which can be accessed by streetcar), it also offers some particular dining options depending on the specific location, such as Commander's Palace and some "locals" places. Some sort of a Garden District tour, including the Lafayette Cemetery (8:00-2:30 M-F; 8-Noon Saturday) would be a natural.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

One thing that may be worth mentioning - restaurants usually don't like to split-up the check, or they charge an upcharge to do so. Maybe it's a regional thing and everyone else is accustomed to that..... but where I live in Canada they will ask 'who is together' and each couple gets their own slip. I was surprised the first time we ate in New Orleans with another couple, and they automatically just brought one bill. Not a big deal with one other couple, but it might be with a group of 12 - 16.

8. Re: Girlfriend's golden b-day, large group and my first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16