We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

NJ
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

we will be renting a car for one day. wanted to go see the Laura plantation on our own. what else can we do around (since we'll already have a car). we've done a swamp tour twice, so looking for other ideas. thanks!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

Tabasco.com see where all the Tabasco in the world is bottled. Lafayette Cajun Country. Atchafalaya. Biloxi/ Gulfport area.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

I sincerely doubt it would be as much fun as the Sam Adams tour in Boston...but...

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:08
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

duh...I guess it would help if I posted the link, huh?

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29452-d215…

Birmingham
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

With a rental car for one day Boston's kind of a reach. I'd recommend sticking closer to home. Key West maybe?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

Oak Alley Plantation which is pretty close to Laura Plantation.

Also Fort Pike which is interesting if you like the Civil War and exploring old forts.

Both those places my husband and I have been to and really enjoyed.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

danyoob...I posted the Abita tour, LOL! Yeah, Boston would be a BIT out of the way!

NJ
Level Contributor
722 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

You'd be 50 miles south east of Baton Rouge, maybe go see that?

Livermore...
Level Contributor
15 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

We'll be there next month and are planning a 'plantation day' that includes two tours, lunch at one plantation and dinner at another. It's going to be a long, but fruitful day!

8:30 AM 9:30 AM Travel time (1 hour)

10:00 AM 11:30 AM Laura Plantation Tour

12:00 PM 1:30 PM Lunch at Oak Alley Plantation (we've done the tour and it's not that great)

1:30 PM 3:00 PM Travel time to St. Francisville (1 1/2 hours)

3:00 PM 4:30 PM Rosedown Plantation Tour

5:00 PM 7:00 PM Dinner @ Myrtles Plantation

7:00 PM 9:00 PM Travel time back to FQ (2 hours)

New Orleans
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

I have never visited any of the plantations along River Road, because I am the lone female in my household and I can never convince anyone else it's good idea. So I may not know what I am talking about here. However, why let that stop me now?

I would go check out Oak Alley. It's right down the road from where you'll be and the oaks are beautiful, (skip the tour, if you're so inclined.) Then I would travel a bit farther west to Houmas House plantation and dine at Latil's Landing, which is one of the restaurants on the property. Here's a review from a long-time local restaurant critic.

http://nomenu.com/?p=2321

If it is Sunday, another idea would be to see a plantation or two and then leave River Road to head across Lake Pontchartrain to have a delicious meal at La Provence. That might be a little bit farther than you want to drive, though.

http://nomenu.com/?p=2348

10. Re: have car. need ideas what to do outside NOLA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:15