We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
506 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I've been reading this travel forum for weeks and love all the info I'm absorbing. I leave for NOLA tomorrow and am wondering what would be a good thank you gift to buy for my pet sitter. She's a young girl, and the gift has to last a 6+ hour drive home. I'd appreciate your recommendations as a box of pralines is the only thing I've thought of so far. Thank you!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

That's usually the gifts we bring back! We get them the day we leave from the New Orleans School Of Cooking. They are (in my opinion) the absolute BEST in the city--and the only ones I eat!

Edited: 22 August 2014, 18:14
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

If she enjoys cooking, they also have gift packs at NOSOC. What could be more quintessential about NOLA than the food?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
891 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I love Jaime Hayes Gallery on Chartres for gifts. Local artist. You can find something fun and NOLA there for anyone on your list, any age, and affordable. Prints, T-shirts, Jewelry etc. We always stop when we're in the French Quarter.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Chocolate alligators, frogs, crawfish, or fleur de lis from Southern Candymakers are what we would usually take back to our kids before we moved here, although pralines are great too. Love the coconut ones from SC, but the chocolate pralines from NO School of Cooking are amazing! Artwork from Dr. Bob would be my choice for something non-perishable. We've also gotten some Defend New Orleans pins and stickers for my husband's students.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
689 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Beads.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Agree with Jamie Hayes, we have brought back little voodoo dolls for the kids and me.Zapps chips are awesome too

New York, NY
Level Contributor
204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I think a really nice masquerade mask is fun....It's nice to use as a home decoration and is a constant reminder of NOLA.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Pralines!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I would bring a young girl a tee shirt from Fleurty Girl. They have the cutest stuff. Fleur di lis jewelry is another option and depending on the young lady, a Tutu. They sell really cute ones everywhere.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Quintessentially speaking, beads.