We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
509 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I've been reading this travel forum for weeks and love all the info I'm absorbing. I leave for NOLA tomorrow and am wondering what would be a good thank you gift to buy for my pet sitter. She's a young girl, and the gift has to last a 6+ hour drive home. I'd appreciate your recommendations as a box of pralines is the only thing I've thought of so far. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

I would agree that a Zulu Coconut or a Muses Shoe would be great momento. I don't think the OP will find either of them available to purchase in August for their dog sitter. I know lots of people who do Mardi Gras every year who don't have both in their collections.

I have heard through the grapevine that you can buy a chance to win a Muses shoe. The raffle to raise money for Café Reconcile is being managed by Hermicaine.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 16:22
Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

...and I've heard thru the grapevine that that coveted shoe is being hand made and donated to the raffle by an actual Muse's rider...wonder if it would be kosher to say WHO...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

It would be kosher, I am pretty jazzed about it. To be clear, I am not a member of Muses, just a temp, (the wait list for full membership has been closed for years), rather I am a Sub. Riding members can take a year off and designate a Sub who is a temporary member for that one year. I am very lucky that one of my friends who is a Muse asked me to sub for her. I could not be more excited. Will be attending the Muses Luncheon the end of the Sept to see the new throws that can be ordered for the parade. If anyone is going to be at MG 2015, Muses rolls on Thursday. I am up to my eyeballs in glitter and embellishments and will be donating a bona fide Muses shoe to the raffle. It will probably have some customization to pay homage to The Flok.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Ooops - didn't bother to read the OP beyond the header. BUSTED!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
509 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Hey, y'all! I've been here in NOLA for 24+ hours, and I am having a BLAST!!!! I haven't been on the computer at all until now, and I only have a few minutes, so I have a lot of stuff to read and catch up on, but just to quickly fill you in...

Thank you to all you posters. I'll check out your advice, comments, etc. soon. I think I've decided to get my cat sitter a box of pralines from the New Orleans School of Cooking, but I still have 4 days to change my mind. ;-)

Will post reviews and photos soon, but for now...

Sunday Jazz Brunch at Muriel's. Very nice. Spent 2+ hours walking around: river side, park, Jackson Square, etc. Sheraton nice with very cool river view. Lost some $$ at Harrah's, but a pit boss gave us a $5 table that he made non-smoking. So sweet of him. Dinner at Palace Cafe. Tasty meals and amazing trio of singers entertained us.

Jazz Brunch Buffet at Court of Two Sisters. Loved the ambiance and setting. Ate way too much. The grillards (veal) and chicken & andouille gumbo (strong file) were amazing. Walked around checking out bourbon Street with tiny samples of frozen concoctions. Very tempting but must wait to drink until after work function 4-6 pm today. :-)

Having such a great time. LOVE this city!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans School of Cooking
New Orleans School of...
4,110 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
13,257 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street
5,926 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Um, I think we got another NOLA addict.

It really isn't fair, the way we tell them how to have the best time in the world, knowing full well they will be hopelessly addicted after their first trip.

We should all feel guilty for doing this....NAH!!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Glad you're loving it so far, Dolphin, and hopefully we'll meet soon.

The first of the Decadence parades is on Friday, I'm planning to watch it from somewhere on Elysian Fields:

southerndecadence.net/southern-decadence-par…

You have my cell number, just text me whenever you feel like meeting up. :)

Mentioned in this post
Elysian Fields Inn
Elysian Fields Inn
503 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

KCK, thanks for the Muses shoe! I've seen your custom work before and I just KNOW it will be incredible! Congrats on your "sub" position!!!

Dolphin, SO GLAD to know you're loving it like we said you would...and kayak...I don't feel even a TWINGE of guilt! :)

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
509 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Overindulged last night (damn those strong, sweet drinks!), so hurting today. ***whimper***

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: What is a quintessential NOLA memento?

Hair O the dog, Diver