We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Early for the Best Parades?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Too Early for the Best Parades?

Just booked for Thursday Feb 5th through Tuesday Feb 10th, did I book too early for the better parades? During our stay are there any parades that are a must see? I understand that the crowds will pick up after we leave which is OK. We have never been to NOLA during Carnival. Really looking forward to this trip. We are staying in the FQ.

One more question, are any of the spectators in costume this early?

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

That's a great weekend to visit for a first timer. There will be parades Thursday the 5, 6,7, 8. Generally a quieter weekend than the following weekend before Mardi Gras which this year falls on the 17 th of Feb. many people will be in costume. My favorite fun parade that weekend is the Krewe of Barkus, great dog parade thru the Quarter, on Sunday afternoon Feb 8, 2015.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

Go to www.mardigrasneworleans.com for the 2015 schedule. I do not see a parade on Feb 5 but plenty on the following days.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

That weekend is known to locals as the "first weekend" and to frequent out-of-town visitors as "Mardi Gras Lite". It's a lot of fun with large float parades Friday night, Saturday day and night, and Sunday afternoon. However, the more spectacular parades and intense celebration are during the last seven days of Carnival.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

And a shameless shill for the Mystic Krewe of Nyx....we ride on February 11th, Wednesday! 1500 riders this year with yours truly on the Title Float!

new york
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

Mystic Krewe of Nyx sounds like a great parade and I don't think it's a shameless shill. The more info the better! Too bad it happens the day after we leave. I want to Thank everyone for the info.

For our first Carnival, I'm happy I picked the first weekend. I know I can handle "Mardi Gras Lite". I wasn't expecting anything on Thursday, that's a travel day and Monday is a relax and detox day before traveling on Tuesday.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

Barkus is the one we keep missing and that is the one I really would love to see. Maybe someday.

7. Re: Too Early for the Best Parades?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:17