We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK to video tape street performers?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
OK to video tape street performers?

I'm getting really excited to go to NOLA in September! Looking forward to see some street musicians there. Wondering, if it is OK to video tape them, and is camcorders allowed in the Jazz Bars? And when do they usually start in a day? Thanks for your info!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

It's ok to video the street performers but please tip them.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

As mentioned make sure you tip them. Most bars and clubs have posted signs against video and photo taking. Outside I see a lot of photo and video taping. The tip jar will be very visible.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

Being a photographic hobbyist, I take photos everywhere. In New Orleans, I have not seen any signs in the bars and clubs prohibiting photography. That's not to say there aren't any, but simply that I haven't seen them. I prefer existing light photography, so I don't use a flash, and when I travel, I use a small pocketable camera. I have never been asked to stop taking photos, and that includes many of the music venues on Bourbon and Frenchmen. I have seen many instances of others using flash with no consequence.

Regarding street photography, be aware that you have every right to photograph anything on the street. The law holds that there is no expectation of privacy in a public space. That is not to say that you won't be confronted by someone you just took a photo of, but you have the law on your side.

As others have indicated, if you photograph a street performer, a tip is appreciated.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

I am in total agreement with kjosker. Public is public, and it is your right to photogrraph or film anything your heart desires. While tips are always appreciated, you are not OBLIGATED to tip.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

It is pretty obnoxious to photograph a street performer and not tip them, IMHO. I am sure you are not that kind of person. It is after all, their livelihood.

I cannot speak for all the bars, but there are signs at Funky Pirate and the other Tropical Isle bars with live music stating that video and audio taping is prohibited.

Many of the bands in bars and on the street performing have CDs for sale so you can take their music home and help them continue to support themselves as performers.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,643 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

Just for one example, I've heard Big Al at Funky Pirate (as recently as earlier this month) tell people to stop taking videos during his set. He actually said it multiple times, including in the middle of a song! :)

So I'd definitely treat it differently in a bar or club where there might be policies about filming, versus taking a video on the street.

Personally I can't imagine filiming someone's performance on the street and not offering a tip.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

Maison Bourbon, Chris Owen's Club plus many others have signs posted. The irony of it at the Tropical Isle is that they stream live!!!!

Edited: 25 August 2014, 15:27
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

I'm very much like kjosker, I take photographs Everywhere, and have not seen any signs. I have taken photographs at The Odgen Museum, The Funky Pirate, d.b.a., Spotted Cat, BMC, Chickie Wah Wah, Maison Bourbon (from the entrance), Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse, and also of numerous street performers.

I use existing light in a club, and NEVER use flash, as I think that would be distracting to the performers. That said, I also never take video in a club, which I guess is why I have photos of Big Al, and have never been dressed down. So, if I were to venture to take videos, I'd look for signs prohibiting them.

As for street performers, they are working for you, and for your tips. They are not employed by Disneyland, nor the Chamber of Commerce. I tip them if they make me laugh, or tap my toes for 2 or 3 minutes, or even make me smile at the thought of being entertained in the street, when I was least expecting it. If one takes a photo or video it is my law that I tip.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,126 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

relax, guys...what I mean is...if you're filming just a pan of the street and there happens to be street performers in it, you are not obligated to tip them. If you DO stand and film a particular performer(s), then yes, the right thing to do is tip (and I would). In fact, I've tipped many just listening, without a camera of any kind in the equation. However, no one is "obligated" to do so.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 16:43
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: OK to video tape street performers?

Just back from my morning walk on Bourbon. Large sign above to the left of the bandstand: no video taping! In Bourbon Maison.