We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

Hello all!

I am planning a trip with my fiance from Charleston, SC to New Orleans, LA. We got a hotel for the night of Fat Tuesday and we were wondering if we will be able to get to our hotel by car. Is anyone familiar with the area who can give us some insight (how traffic would be, parade routes, best route to try and go). The hotel we are staying at is called the Courtyard Iberville Hotel on Iberville Street. Thanks in advance guys!

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
720 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
952 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
133 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
461 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

What time? I think it will be impossible to get there during most of the day (Canal St will be closed for parades and the French Quarter will be packed with pedestrians). Why come in that night at all? Most of the fun will be over, just come the next day. I'm pretty comfortable with Mardi Gras and New Orleans traffic and I would not try this.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

We will be staying in Biloxi the night before so we were planning on leaving very very early that morning to get in before the parades start.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

We were also planning on staying in New Orleans until that Friday

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

A couple of years ago a friend of ours arrived about noon on Fat Tuesday. The closest she could get was Rampart. The taxi dropped her at Gov Nicholls and Rampart and we met here there. Some of the crowds we had to get through with her suitcase were pretty dense. The taxi will not be able to get you to the door. The closest they can get might not be very close. Make sure you have a map you understand and don't have more baggage than you can shoulder through a crowd with because you will need to navigate there on foot.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 15:46
Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

You won't be able to drive in or park in the FQ or CBD. I did not notice on my first reply that you were driving. Unless you plan to park away from the FQ/CBD and taxi in closer, I would wait till morning.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

IF you get to the French Quarter BEFORE 7 AM, you might have a shot. Iberville Courtyard is in the corner of the French Quarter. Because the Zulu parade gets to that area between 9 and 10, most all streets between Basin St. and the French Quarter and into the French Quarter will start shutting down around 7 AM. With written proof of French Quarter lodging, you may be able to get into the French Quarter BEFORE 7 AM, and I'm GUESSING parking would then be available. I would call the hotel and inquire with the concierge; make sure you are talking with someone who seems confident and has actual first hand knowledge; work your way up to the General Manager if necessary.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

Thank you all for your contributions! When I say early I mean get there by at least 5am. Do you know if the streets open up again after a certain time before the parades even start? I'm hoping we can squeeze in to our hotel some time before 5am and 7 am early Tuesday morning. We will definitely contact the hotel- that was a great idea Loopwhole. We may just look into getting a hotel for Monday too. But seriously, thank you all so much for this information. It is greatly appreciated!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

Great plan. If the hotel does not have parking available there are some public lots that you may be able to get into that early. I would ask the hotel concierge to recommend.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

9 AM to 2 PM in and around the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday is my favorite part of Carnival, but we all have different faves. Things will start winding down at sundown, and it will all be pretty much over at midnight.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I be able to get to my hotel on Fat Tuesday?

After a lot of deliberating we decided to cancel the hotel for Fat Tuesday and opt for a longer trip for the week before. We will be staying at the Lamothe House- it looked pretty nice and is a close proximity to everything we would love to explore. Thank you all so much for your contributions and we will hopefully be able to plan another trip to New Orleans and be able to better plan our trip around Fat Tuesday :) But we mainly just wanted to say thanks for all your help!!