We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is the Ritz?

Bergenfield, NJ
Level Contributor
146 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
how far is the Ritz?

I'll be at the Ritz for a conference in March and was wondering how far it is from the French Quarter? The conf. starts on Monday but I"m coming in Friday nite and want to spend the weekend on my own doing whatever I want to do. Can I walk to Bourbon Street? How about to Cafe Dupont?

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is the Ritz?

If I'm not mistaken there are 3 hotels with Ritz in their name, Ritz Carlton, Ritz Clarion and I'm not sure about the the third. The Carlton is suppose to be one of the best in the Quarter, the Clarion was just across Canal St (one of the streets marking the border line of the French Quarter) just up the road from the Carlton. I haven't noticed it since the hurricane last year. CajinWave may be of more help. Both are good locations for touring the Quarter. The great thing about the Quarter is everything is in walking distance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far is the Ritz?

The Ritz Carlton is in the French Quarter on Canal Street. It's just one block to Bourbon and 6-7 to Cafe DuMonde. Easy walks.

There's only one Ritz Carlton property in New Orleans although pre-Katrina this complex had three separate "entities" operating as hotels: Ritz Carlton, Iberville Suites and Maison Orleans. Now, M.O. has been designaed as the Ritz club level while Iberville remains a separate "hotel within a hotel."

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Lion: Technically and historically the French Quarter is bounded by Iberville on the South, Esplanade on the North, Decatur on the East and N.Rampart on the West. So, Canal Street ISN'T in the French Quarter as someone has pointed out.

However, the Ritz on Canal and Dauphine is still one block from the Quarter albeit a little of a walk to get to the action part.

Yes you can walk to Bourbon Street, but there are a lot of interesting sites besides Bourbon St., including the many Antique Stores along Chartres Street and Royal Sts. And, do not forget the restaurants of many in the Quarter.

Have a nice visit.....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far is the Ritz?

mrkeen is correct in that TECHNICALLY the border of the French Quarter is Iberville, not Canal. However, ask 100 people and 99 will tell you that the French Quarter runs from Canal to Esplanade. The Iberville border exists only to give the Canal Street/Central Business District development district power to control Canal Street growth and build larger buildings than permitted in the Quarter. It's a legality, not a reality.

I'll stand by my statement that for all practical purposes the Ritz, Astor Crowne Plaza, Wyndham Canal Place, Marriott, etc. are in the French Quarter.

New Orleans
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how far is the Ritz?

I agree w/ cajunwave.. locals consider canal st the border to the french quarter, anything you want to visit in the quarter is 3 to 10 blocks away, and these are very short blocks.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Agreed - it's not technically in the FQ but it's not a far walk at all to the "action", and as another poster said, don't miss other streets like Royal. I am envious of your stay at the Ritz!!! have a fabulous time!

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Cajun: The historical facts are correct. The Vieux Carre Comm. does not have any jurisdiction on Canal Street, because it is NOT in the Vieux Carre. If the businesses along Canal St. are advertising they are IN the FQ, this is not accurately stated. There is a more strict distinction also, but we won't go there here....maybe later.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Again, I agree with what you're saying. However, it's widely believed that the Quarter runs from Canal to Esplanade. In fact, this is from the Vieux Carre Commission website:

"In 1965 the commission voted to accept national landmark status for the Vieux Carré with boundaries that extended from Canal Street to Esplanade Avenue, and from the Mississippi River to North Rampart Street."

Canal Street currently has a separate district for development, etc., and the Vieux Carre Commission regulates property from Iberville to Esplanade, including where I live near Dumaine/Burgundy. I'm unsure of the historical reasons to have the Quarter start at Iberville but I'd love to know more.

I think it's like someone who lives near Ochsner Hospital saying they live in "New Orleans." Technically, not correct but "close enough." :-) Back to the original question -- the Ritz Carlton complex sits between Canal and Iberville streets and it's a great location for all Quarter and downtown attractions. Just a block from Bourbon, too.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Cajun: This is all the history I will review here. It is all available on site. The original Vieux Carre, as laid out in 1722 encompassed an area of six (6) by thirteen (13) blocks.

The Historic District Landmark Society cannot change the original French Quarter boundaries, but can accept the historic designation change. Also, the Vieux Carre Comm. has Architectural control over the building facades in the Vieux Carre, not so on Canal Street.

Call this a business or a political decision by those in power, or whatever.

And, I would agree that since a lot of people can recognize the name of canal street and Esplanade Ave, it would be appropriate to say that it is in the French Quarter, especially when speaking with out of town travelers and their hotels etc. However, we who live here know the difference and our motivation is not driven by the dollar.

Indiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how far is the Ritz?

Mrkeen brought up an interesting point about the boundaries of the FQ. All the maps I have looked at indicate that Canal if the southern boundary, Where ever the boundary is I thought it great how you could step out the front of the hotel into the more or less modern business district and out the back door onto the narrow streets of the Quarter, its like a different world.

The RC may not be the best located hotel in the FQ although we enjoyed it very much and look forward to visiting there again. In my opinion the the Omni Royal Orleans is probably in the best location for walking. To give you an idea I think I could walk from the RC to the Omni in 5 minutes.

I will be anxious to here how the hotels restoration turned out as we thought it was good before, so let us know what you think.