We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edd
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering?

I'll be in town for New Years. I was thinking about showing up early and volunteering a few days (Tues 26th, Wed, & Thurs). Are there useful volunteering opportunities available 'last minute'? I'd prefer hard labor, but would consider anything.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering?

The paper ran a nice story on the St. Bernard Project (stbernardproject.org) just this week. May be worth a look.

edd
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering?

Thanks CajunWave, that's PERFECT!

It looks like they (St Bernard Project) accept volunteers for as little as 1 day. Even better, it also looks like there might be free housing for volunteers (so it might not cost me much extra $$$ to volunteer), but I haven't confirmed any of this with them yet.

Thanks Again!

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering?

You can also try Habitat for Humanity. Their web site is: www.habitat-nola.org. You can sign up on line. I spent last Saturday working on a house at 4904 Dale St and it was very rewarding.

edd
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering?

I just spoke with a woman from "Camp Hope" (they provide a place to sleep and three meals a day to volunteers - and only ask for a $20 donation per day to cover the cost). She said volunteer opportunities are going to be hard to find through Habitat for that week. Then I checked with St Bernard Project and they have work for 27th and after.

Thanks for the help.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering?

You could also check out Lutheran Social Services for Lutheran Disaster Relief.

Chevy Chase
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering?

Hi:

I'm originally from New Orleans, but now live in washington DC. I've been bringing groups down since Katrina to work. The main job is "mucking out" houses--hard, but very satisfying! I'll be in town with a group Dec. 27-Jan1...We work with The Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana which is very well organized --does homes for the aged, poor, and others who can't do their own. The only thing you need to believe in is New Orleans.

Contact me by email if you like and I can give you more information, how to connect up, etc. One day or 10 days is fine. As our tag line goes--"Be a witness, lend a hand, change your life!" BManard@earthlink.net

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
281 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteering?

Check out Celebration Church. $20/day includes food and cot style lodging. It's a fabulous program. I did gutting, tear down of relief center. It's out of Metarie, but easy to get to. I've been with them twice and plan to go back around February.

celebrationchurch.org/templates/…

You can go alone, you can be paired up with other groups. It is a Christian organization, and there is a lot of Christ centered activity but you don't have to necessarily be involved if you are not interested.

8. Re: Volunteering?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 18:18