We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

Which Custer hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

I'm currently planning our trip next summer to the Badlands, Custer and then beyond. We are planning to rent an RV for the 2.5 week trip and "camp" along the way. My question is: How difficult is it getting around the park in a 26-28' RV since this will be our only means of transport? I'm pretty sure we won't be able to do Needles Hwy because the tunnels are too small, but can access Sylvan Lake from 89. I'm also pretty sure we can do Iron Mountain as those tunnels are bigger and some have by-passes.

Thanks in advance for your comments and insight!

Annette

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

We have never pulled or driven an RV in the Black Hills but see many each time we go there. I don't think you will have a problem driving anywhere, even in the Needles with a 26'-28' RV, but I am not sure. We have seen huge tour buses go through the tunnels in the Needles. It is like watching a "needle being threaded" but the buses make it through. I do know there are height and widths posted at all the tunnels. I would suggest you call the Black Hills Information Center at (605) 355-3700 or email them at info@blackhillsbadlands.com regarding your concern. Have you received a Black Hills and Badlands Vacation Guide? You might even be able to find this kind information in the guide. To order, go to this site:

http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

agreed-- give the info center a call and ask about the size limits to get thru the needles. Also saw some large vehicles go thru. Quite entertaining for the rest of us :) but just might be doable. hate for you to miss the Needles highway.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

Heading east from Sylvan on the Needles hwy, the first tunnel is by the Needle and there is a parking area there and some room to turn around if you decide you don't want to continue on. However it would be tricky to turn around if it is crowded.

4. Re: Getting around Custer SP in an RV.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:15