We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

How long does it take to drive each of these routes for a fairly slow driver? I don't want to end up on any of them in the dark.

Thanks.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

I would devote an entire day to the roads of Custer State Park. Depending on your number of stops, each road can take 2 or more hours each, especially the Wildlife Loop. It's a photographer's paradise.

If you start at 9 or even 10, you won't have any issues with being off these roads by dark.

Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
4,698 Reviews
Custer, SD
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

The Wildlife Loop Road is a relatively easy road to drive where the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road are more mountainous, twisty, winding roads. If you were not to stop at all you could probably drive the Wild Loop Road in an hour, the Needles Highway in an hour and Iron Mountain Road in a little over an hour. I am quite sure you will stop several times on each one of these roads. Wildlife and scenery are fantastic. I would stay off the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road after 7:30/8 p.m. You do not want to miss the scenery. We have driven the Wild Loop Road often after dark and never have had a problem. Just keep an eye out for wildlife anywhere in the Black Hills.

Mentioned in this post
Wildlife Loop Road
Wildlife Loop Road
2,081 Reviews
Custer, SD
Iron Mountain Road
Iron Mountain Road
1,183 Reviews
Custer, SD
United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

Thanks a lot to both of you. I'll make sure not to enter those roads at least 2 hours before sunset to be safe and be able to take stops in between.

4. Re: drive times for Iron Mountain, Needles, and Wildlife Loop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:18