We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

Just to let people know for planning purposes, Jewel cave underground tours are currently closed because of an elevator malfunction (that's what the reservations phone recording says). Sounds like you can still visit some of the stuff on the surface though.

Does anyone here work for the park service and have any idea when they might fix the elevators? I was planning to go next Wed but have a bad feeling it will be long past then before the elevator is fixed.

Ski Country...
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

Thanks for posting, we were going to be there next week! Looks like Wind Cave it is for us.

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

Maybe we'll end up on the same Wind Cave tour :) I'm going to be calling in the park service Jewel cave reservation number 605-673-8300 again when it gets closer to my travel date just in case it is fixed by then (but won't be holding my breath that that will happen).

Elevators really shouldn't take that long to fix but if they have to order parts, well I can see that extending the timeframe (plus I'm not sure how fast the government would move on this).

Edited: 08 July 2011, 21:10
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

Thank you for posting, HeeHee. Please keep us posted if you hear anything additional.

United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

Update on Jewel Cave as I went there today anyway since we needed a bathroom stop. Elevators are still broken so discovery and scenic tours are both still canceled until further notice.

The lantern tour is open however as you don't need an elevator to take the tour. That tour is considered "strenuous" so if you aren't in top shape, you may want to checkout the nps website for info on it. I don't know if the wild cave tour is still being given - depends on whether the elevator is required. Definitely reserve ahead of time if you can.

Unfortunately, I'll have a ton of work to do when I get back from vacation so I won't be able to check again on when the Jewel Cave elevator is open. I hope someone else can post here when the elevators are fixed.

Lawrence, Kansas
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

The Jewel Cave website now says: "Jewel Cave National Monument has re-opened the cave for interpretive tours, after about one week of temporary closure. Jewel Cave offers four different types of tours during the summer season." Sounds like the elevators are up?

Mentioned in this post
Jewel Cave National Monument
Jewel Cave National...
1,142 Reviews
Custer, SD
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

I found a press release that states Jewel is back open as of 7/15!! Great news for those travelling to the area. Thanks for posting, paiges!

7. Re: Jewel Cave tours currently closed to elevator malfunction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 00:15